Christian Eriksen is not permitted to play in Italy this season as a result of the cardiac arrest he suffered at Euro 2020, say his club Inter Milan.
The Denmark midfielder, 29, collapsed during his country’s Euro 2020 game against Finland in June and had life-saving treatment on the pitch.
He later had an a implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) device – a type of pacemaker – fitted.
But Inter will let Eriksen leave the club as he cannot feature for them.
“The player has been temporarily inhibited by the Italian medical authority from sporting activity in the current season,” Inter wrote in a statement on Thursday.
“Although the current conditions of the player don’t meet the requirements of achieving sporting fitness in Italy, the same could instead be achieved in other countries where the player could resume competitive activity.”
It is unclear whether other countries would allow Eriksen to participate in their respective leagues with the ICD device.
Ajax’s former Manchester United defender Daley Blind was also fitted with an ICD after being diagnosed with heart muscle inflammation, but the 31-year-old has continued playing for the Eredivisie champions and the Netherlands national team.
Eriksen spent six and a half seasons with Tottenham, playing in their Champions League final loss to Liverpool in 2019, before joining Inter in a £16.9m transfer in January 2020.
He played in the Europa League final later that season as Inter lost to Sevilla and then helped them win Serie A in 2020-21.
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Ashaiman invasion: We have been commended for ridding town of criminals – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- Funny Face opens up on relationship with Emmanuel Adebayor
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Organ-trafficking Nigerian politician, wife found guilty
- Lori Harvey and Damson Idris reportedly split after three month whirlwind romance
- African sport rocked by sexual abuse allegations in DR Congo and Cameroon
- Ministerial nominees: Stalemate persists; Minority determined not to approve – Ablakwa
- Global Economic Challenges: Time is right to see value of insurers – Owusu-Banahene
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Attempts by Bawumia’s supporters to politicise enskinment of new Yagbonwura disrespectful – Joyce Bawah
- Exploring the art of drum making
- Mahama begins 3-day campaign tour of the Western Region today
- Police called to Rihanna’s house after man shows up to propose
- ECG retrieves almost ¢2.5m from 2 defaulting firms in Kumasi
- South Africa opposition vows to ‘protect’ Putin from ICC arrest
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- Ramadan: Nigerians face arrest for ‘eating in public’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mining companies