Audio By Carbonatix
The Ministry of National Security has expressed deep concern over a recent report by Reuters which falsely claimed that Islamist militants are using northern Ghana as a logistical and medical base to support their insurgent activities.
In a statement issued on Friday, October 25, the Ministry described the report by Reuters as riddled with inaccuracies.
Reuters report erroneously suggested that Ghanaian authorities appeared to be largely turning a blind eye to insurgents crossing from neighboring Burkina Faso to obtain food, fuel, and even explosives, as well as receiving medical treatment in local hospitals.
But the Ministry asserted that Reuters, without conducting independent verification, relied on a previously discredited publication by the Netherlands Institute of International Relations (Clingendael).
The statement said that that publication had already been challenged by the Ministry, which pointed out several errors.
According to the Ministry, Clingendael-Reuters' sole source had inaccurately suggested that Ghana's lack of terrorist attacks resulted from an alleged "non-aggression" understanding with militant groups to preserve supply lines and safe havens.
"This assertion is entirely unfounded, misleading, and rather curious," the Ministry said, dismissing the claims as an "unwarranted slur on Ghana."
In August 2024, the Ministry said it held a series of meetings with Clingendael researchers to address numerous inaccuracies in the draft report regarding Ghana's security posture and submitted a response paper outlining the errors that Clingendael was expected to correct in the final report.
The Ministry categorically rejected the portrayal of Ghana as a "supply line" for militants, stressing that Ghana's counter-terrorism efforts have earned commendation from regional and global partners engaged in the fight against terrorism.
"The Government of Ghana deserves recognition for the significant resources it allocates to securing the country's borders. Our security forces are actively engaged in counter-terrorism operations, particularly along the northern border, with a firm commitment to protecting citizens and maintaining regional stability," the statement said.
The Ministry also dismissed the notion of a "non-aggression" policy or any tacit agreement with militant groups.
"Any suggestion that Ghana passively facilitates extremist activities or is permissive towards threats is not only false but undermines the vigilance of our security personnel and the substantial investments the Government continues to make to strengthen border security," it added.
The statement further noted that the Government, through its State Security and Intelligence Agencies, conducts continuous operations to prevent terrorist infiltration and cross-border movements of militants, achieving notable successes over the years.
It highlighted Ghana's unwavering collaboration with neighbouring countries, reinforcing intelligence sharing and operational coordination to tackle shared security threats in the region.
"The Ministry of National Security urges the public and the international community to disregard these erroneous and irresponsible reports.
“The Government of Ghana remains committed to upholding national security, safeguarding the safety and well-being of citizens, and supporting regional counter-terrorism efforts without compromise," the statement added.
Latest Stories
-
Afoko calls for research-driven strategy to rebuild NPP ahead of 2028 elections
5 minutes -
Guinness Ghana Annual Golf Championship set for May 30 at Achimota Golf Club
15 minutes -
Ghana to announce World Cup squad on June 1 – Kurt Okraku
1 hour -
Livestream: Newsfile dicusses attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
1 hour -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
3 hours -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
3 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
4 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
4 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
5 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
5 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
6 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
6 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
7 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
8 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
9 hours