Management of Citi FM has petitioned the National Media Commission (NMC) over the assault of two of its journalists.

The Adabraka-based media house is asking the Commission to probe the circumstance under which the journalist, Caleb Kudah was abused at the National Security premises in Accra.

On Tuesday, May 11, Mr Kudah was arrested at the National Security Ministry for filming in a ‘restricted area.’

According to the journalist, he was handcuffed and subjected to physical abuse during interrogation.

National Security operatives also stormed the Adabraka premises of Citi FM/Citi TV in a Rambo-style to arrest his colleague, Zoe Abu-Baidoo.

She is said to have been the recipient of the video footage shot at the National Security zone.

The Ministry has been severely criticised, with many people describing the development as a needless show of bravado.

The National Security Ministry released a statement explaining its side of the story arguing that the journalist entered its facility under false prentences. It added that it will investigate the claims of abuse.

On the back of this, the management of Citi FM wants the Commission to "use its role under the constitution that enjoins it to ensure the safety of journalist to investigate or cause to be investigated the two incidents described above and recommend appropriate actions therefrom."

Read the full document below:

May 14,2021



Management of Citi FM& CITI TV is lodging this formal complaint to the National Media Commission on the conduct ofsome officers of the National Security Ministry against two journalists – Mr. Caleb Kudah and Mrs. Zoe Abu-Baidoo Addoworking with Citi FM/Citi TV and theraiding of the offices of Citi FM & Citi TV by policemen from National SecurityMinistry on the same day.

This complaint is made pursuant to Section 2 (1) (b) of the National Media Commission Act, 1993 ( Act 449):

“to take the appropriate measures that ensure the establishment and maintenance of the highest journalistic standards in the mass media, including the investigation, mediation and settlement of complaints made against or by the press or other mass media;”(emphasis ours)

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021, the Director of Operations of National Security, Lt. Col. Frank Agyeman, and a team of SWAT policemen working underthe direction of DSP Samuel KojoAzuguunlawfullyarrested, detained,brutalizedand tortured Mr. Caleb Kudahand subsequently, raided in a Rambo-Style the offices of Citi FM/Citi TVby men from the same unit, in a bid to arrest Mrs. Zoe Abu-Baidoo Addo. The incident caused alarm, fear and panic amongst the members of staff of the company and endangered the lives of innocent Ghanaians.


Around 2:30 pm on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 Citi FM/Citi TV reporters Caleb Kudah went to the carpark of the Ministry of National Security to take photos of a number of abandoned Chevrolet vehicles imported into the country in 2016but had yet to be distributed as of 2019.

Mr. Kudah was doing a follow up on the state of those Chevrolet vehicles to ascertain if the vehicles were still at the location- a matter of vital public interest regarding the use of  state resources over which the public is entitled to the truth.

After taking photos of the vehicles he  made a short video of some other old vehicles parked under a  shed adjacent to the location of the Chevrolet vehicles.

On his way out of the premises, he was accosted by an official of the National Security Ministry, who  raised an alarm and accused him of filming national security installations to foment trouble.

Mr. Kudah was immediately surrounded by policemen who seized his phone and roughed him up before sending him into a building in which he met the head of the SWAT Unit DSP Azugu.

During questioning,Mr.Kudahidentified himself to the officials as a  journalist from Citi FM/Citi TV who had come to take photos of some abandoned MASLOC vehicles, which was a follow up on a story he had earlier done.

DSP Azugu placed a phone call to Mr. Richard Mensah, Director of Television of Citi TV to confirm if indeed Mr.Caleb Kudah was a member of staff of Citi FM/CITI TV to which he affirmed.

This notwithstanding, Mr.Kudah was slapped several times and punched indiscriminately by theofficers several times while being questioned by DSP Azugu although he had  identified himself as a journalist from Citi FM/Citi TV.

After some minutes of that ordeal, he was brought outside the building to underneath a mango tree, at which point he was approached by a well-dressed man in a light-green suit,whom he  later identified by name as  Lt Col Frank Agyeman.

Lt Col Agyeman upon approaching the now roughed-up and petrified Mr. Kudah, gave him a hefty slap and asked him to kneel down. He then kicked him in the groin and left him lying down.

This action by Lt. Col. Agyeman, seemed to have invigorated the policemen who continued punching and slapping Mr. Kudah for several minutes.

Mr. Kudah pleaded for mercy and tried to explain why he was there, but his cries fell on deaf ears as the policemen continued to indiscriminately punch and slap him from behind.

In total, Mr. Kudah was manhandled and brutalized for close to 5 hours in detention, both in the office of DSP  Azugu, as well as in the main national security building.

When he was sent to the main national security building, he was thrown into a room without windows (with some other suspects)  and “worked on” by one of the inmates who threatened him and asked him to remove his shoes and do push-ups amid threats and insults.

He recounts how thirsty he was and asked for water, which he was given, but the handcuffs he was wearing and his tired hands could barely raise the water to his lips.

His horrific  ordeal continued until around 7pm when he was released.

Mr. Kudah informed the management of the Citi FM/Citi TV that he was made to write a statement without allowing him the right to counsel as prescribed by law.


While Mr. Kudah was in detention,a plain-clothes police officer went on to illegally go through his seized phone, and upon realizing that some of the photos/Videos Caleb took had been sent to the phone Mrs. Zoe Abu-BaidooAddo also a Broadcast Journalist at Citi, proceeded under subterfuge to chat with Zoe using Caleb’s phone to create the impression that he was okay, and by so doing tried to lure her out of the office to be arrested.

When this approach failed, they then called Mrs. Abu-BaidooAddo  with Mr. Kudah’s phone to ask her to report at the National Security Ministry at which point she explained that she would need to confer with management before honoring the invitation by telephone.

Mrs. Abu-BaidooAddo subsequently informed  Mr. Richard Mensah of the call, at which point he indicated to her that he would talk to DSP Azugu while trying to secure Mr. Kudah’s release.

A few minutes after this, about seven or eight fully armed SWAT police officers from the National Security Ministry, led by a plain clothes officer stormed Citi FM/Citi TV in a Rambo-style in  3 pick up vehicles,accostedMrs. Abu-Baidoo Addo (who was on a phone call at the car park) confiscated her phone and chased her, to the back of Citi FM in a bid to arrest her.

A chaotic scene ensued amid the cocking of guns and shouts, which was not only unprofessional, but intimidating and dangerous to both Mrs. Abu-BaidooAddo and the members of staff who had come out in response to the ensuing commotion.

The approach adopted by the SWAT team in their bid to arrest Mrs. Abu-Baidoo Addo, within the precincts of her own office premises was potentially life-threatening to her and the members of staff present at the scene.

It took the management of Citi FM/Citi TV in particular the CEO, Mr. Samuel Attah-Mensah ‘s intervention to calm the situation. The Policemen then agreed , for a team from Citi FM/TV’s Management to accompany Mrs. Zoe Abu-Baidoo Addo to the National Security Office.

The team from management had a cordial meeting with DSP Azugu, and left his office with the  impression that all that was required was for the photos/videos to be deleted and the two would be released immediately.

The team was however directed to see Lt. Col Agyeman, who upon seeing the delegation, asked for Mrs. Abu-Baidoo Addo to follow him and refused to speak to the team from Citi FM/TV management.

Mrs. Abu-BaidooAddowas released at about 5:30 pm after almost 45 minutes in detention while Mr. Kudahwas released around 7pm that evening, following the intervention of the Deputy National Security Coordinator,  Mr. Edward Kwaku Asomaning who Citi Management reached out to.

Mr. Kudah has been sent to the hospital for medical examination and is currently recuperating from the physical and psychological effects of his ordeal.

Till date, no formal charges have been levelled against the two journalists.

However, the National Security Ministry has indicated that they are investigating the incident.

The statement issued by the Chief Director of the Ministry recounting their version of the  events of the day and announcing an internal investigation does not give us an indication that the National Security Ministry will provide an independent and  satisfactory investigation in these allegations.


We are hereby petitioning the National Media Commission to use its mandate under the Constitution that enjoins it to ensure the safety of journalist to investigate or cause to be investigated the two incidents described above and recommend appropriate actions therefrom.

We have attached a video containing more details of the Caleb and Zoe’s account of events and another containing CCTV footage of the raid on Citi FM

Samuel Attah-Mensah
CC: Minister of Information

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.

WhatsApp Icon