Member of Parliament for Ningo-Prampram, Samuel Nartey George, has urged the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to put proper measures in place to attract investments to the Ghana Premier League (GPL).
After the cancellation of the First Capital Plus as the headline sponsor of the GPL in 2016, the league had been without a headline sponsor.
Mr George said on Saturday that, investors would come on board to sponsor the domestic league if the GFA put proper measures in place to develop the league including refereeing in the various leagues in the country.
“I would support calls for investments into the premier league on one condition, that if the FA would do the right things, and the right things means we can’t invest money in a league where the referees are substandard, referees make all kinds of dubious calls.”
According to the Member of Parliament, the GPL was not attracting investors due to poor facilities including pitches.
“You can’t just throw money into a league where at times people are fixing matches, you can clearly see that something fishy and funny is going on, the league needs to be cleaned up to attract investors,” he said.
The outspoken MP entreated the GFA to fix the issues in the GPL to attract investments, saying “When you have world-class officiating when you have proper structures at the GFA, it would automatically attract investments, for example, the penalty awarded against Hearts of Oak against Kotoko, how is that a penalty.”
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
Manchester United: Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave club this summer
Rafael Nadal apologises after Wimbledon third-round win ends on testy note
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
Volta Division 2 Middle League: Rangers FC head into final