A High Court in the northern Nigeria has sentenced a man to death by hanging for the kidnapping for ransom and killing of his five-year-old nephew in 2019.
The 19-year-old man had denied the charges. Witnesses say he looked sombre as the death sentence was handed down.
A spokesperson for Kano State’s judiciary told the BBC it appeared the convicted man had killed the boy as he feared he had been recognised.
Nigeria is struggling to tackle a wave of kidnappings for ransom by organised gangs and opportunistic criminals.
Earlier this week, security forces in the northern state of Bauchi arrested two men for allegedly kidnapping and subsequently killing a five-year-old girl after collecting a ransom from her family.
- Tear gas fired at Arise Ghana demo
- Social media users jubilate over E-levy flop
- 85% revenue has been lost due to E-Levy – African Network of Entrepreneurs CEO
- Government will withdraw e-levy if it’s not helpful – Kwaku Kwarteng
- Arise Ghana Demo: Police arrest 3 protesters
- 28 years of teaching but living on loans – Life of a teacher
- Health Minister submits over 10 documents against Ato Forson in ambulance case
- Photos and videos from Arise Ghana Demo
- Arise Ghana Demo: ‘Step down if you can’t rule Ghana anymore’ – Protesters tell Akufo-Addo
- ‘E-levy not a bad tax; Ghanaians just don’t want to pay taxes’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko
We don’t make any profit from School Feeding Programme – Caterer
Tax cuts not sustainable; demand for better accountability, better economic management – Dr. Patrick Asuming
Sex releases stress in men than women – Medical practitioner
Bank of Ghana elected Vice-Chair of African Financial Inclusion Policy Initiative
Gospel musician Melody Bowier out with new single ‘Around The Clock’
Arise Ghana conveners shirking responsibility for their role in police-protesters clash – Deputy Information Minister
Rotary Club of Sunyani East hands over a fully furnished 4-unit classroom block to Nsoatre R/C School
Fiifi Manfred: Micheal Edwards, Liverpool FC’s boardroom genius
Arise Ghana Demo: Bernard Mornah narrates harrowing experience
MTN Ghana adjudged Health Environment Safety and Security Company of the Year
Court places injunction on first Islamic anniversary of Ejura shooting victims
Minority demand breakdown of $34m cost involved in relocating Ameri deal
Release all images of 12 injured officers – Mensah Thompson tells Police
Kejetia traders in joy as ECG restores electricity connection to the market
Playback: PM Express discuss Arise Ghana’s demand for accountability and good governance