A court in Pakistan has sentenced a man to death for raping and murdering the daughter of a former diplomat who refused his offer of marriage.
Noor Muqaddam, 27, was beaten, raped and beheaded by Zahir Jaffer, the son of one of Pakistan’s richest families.
The brutal killing took place at his home on 20 July last year. CCTV footage showed her trying in vain to escape.
The murder caused nationwide revulsion and prompted demands for more to be done to ensure women’s safety.
Noor Muqaddam’s murder by a man she knew in the same group of high society friends had dominated headlines for months.
It brought calls for an overhaul of Pakistan’s criminal justice system, which has very low conviction rates, particularly for crimes against women.
Hundreds of women are killed in the country each year, and thousands suffer violence. Many cases go unreported.
Two of Jaffer’s household employees were sentenced to 10-years imprisonment for abetting the murder, while his parents were acquitted of trying to cover it up.
Her father, Shaukat Muqaddam, called the verdict a victory for justice and said he wanted to ensure abusers and killers of women in Pakistan no longer got away with their crimes.
“I am happy that justice has been served,” he said.
“I’ve been saying that this is not just my daughter’s case, it is a case for all the daughters of my country.”
He pledged to challenge the acquittal of Jaffer’s parents.
Jaffer, a 30-year-old US national of Pakistani origin, can also appeal against the verdict.
- Florida nabs largest python ever found in state
- Ablakwa’s claim of Akufo-Addo flying ‘Luxury Monster’ inaccurate – Presidency
- My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan
- Parliament orders immediate withdrawal of soldiers used for installation of Krobo prepaid meters
- Albert Kwabena Dwumfour elected GJA president
- Eugene Arhin cannot justify Akufo-Addo’s ‘Luxury Monster’ flight – Ablakwa
- I never said Akufo-Addo travelled in D-Alex – Ablakwa
- 2022 MTN FA Cup Final: Samuel Boadu names Hearts of Oak squad for Bechem showdown
- Foster Romanus ties the knot
- Visually-impaired Menzgold customer receives support
National Cathedral: There is no need to rush project – Ablakwa
Jackie Appiah trends on Twitter as video of posh Trassaco mansion pops up
Empress Gifty’s grandmother passes on
Netflix cuts 300 more jobs after subscriptions fall
Drama as Nigerian lawyer dresses as native doctor to Supreme Court
Boankra residents petition Akufo-Addo to investigate land takeover
Abortion clinics start to close after US Supreme Court ruling
MTN donates to promote digital literacy in Ashanti region
18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
Livestream: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
MTN celebrates 12 years of Ashantifest with exciting activities
WAFU B U-17 tournament: Black Starlets win bronze after beating Ivory Coast
NFL star Ezekiel Ansah donates to 14 health centres in Akropong
Ghana to get a comprehensive haematology and sickle cell centre – Project lead