Audio By Carbonatix
A court in Accra has subpoenaed the Madina District Crime Officer to appear before it in respect of GH¢94,000 given to him allegedly by an accused person.
The subpoena comes after Emmanuel Nash, an event organiser, appeared before the Adentan Circuit Court for allegedly defrauding a woman of GH¢338,000.
The court was told that upon Nash’s arrest, he refunded GH¢94,000 to the Crime Officer and was admitted to police enquiry bail.
However, the Crime Officer allegedly failed to release the money to the complainant.
Nash, therefore, petitioned the Police Intelligence and Professional Standard Bureau of the Ghana Police Service.
Later, the Adentan Circuit Court issued a subpoena for the Crime Officer and admitted Emmanuel Nash to bail in the sum of GH¢350,000 with two sureties to be justified.
Nash pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy and defrauding by false pretences.
Meanwhile, an accomplice of Nash, known as Mariam Appiah–Korang, is said to be at large.
The court presided over by Angela Attachie adjourned the matter to August 21, for Case Management Conference.
The prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Maxwell Lanyo, told the court that the complainant Olivia Osei Mensah was a trader residing in Madina, Accra.
It said Nash resided at Nungua and that Mariam, the second accused person, was at large.
In 2022, Mariam was said to have met Nash during one of his (Nash’s) events and pleaded with him to help get some people recruited into security services because he knew people in government.
The prosecution said Mariam, therefore, went to the complainant and convinced her to look for interested people to be enlisted in the various security services.
It said the interested complainant paid GH¢30,000 for her three children to be enlisted and then collected various sums of money from 44 other interested persons.
The prosecution said the complainant collected a total amount of GH¢338,000 and handed over the names to Mariam, who also gave them to Nash.
According to the prosecutor, all efforts made to either get the 47 people recruited or have the money refunded failed.
The prosecution said the matter was reported and police investigations led to the arrest of Nash and Mariam.
The court was told that Nash admitted receiving the money from Mariam to enlist a group of people into the security services.
Mariam, during police investigations, jumped bail together with her sureties.
The prosecution said so far, GH¢94,000 had been retrieved from Nash.
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
22 minutes -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
2 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
2 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
2 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
3 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
3 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
3 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
3 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
4 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours