Novak Djokovic has equalled Roger Federer’s record of 310 weeks ranked as world number one.
The 33-year-old Serbian is guaranteed to break the mark next week.
Djokovic won his 18th Grand Slam title and his ninth Australian Open crown in Melbourne last month.
“After achieving the historic number one for the longest weeks at number one, it’s going to be a relief for me because I’m going to focus all my attention on slams mostly,” he said.
His victory in Melbourne takes him to two wins behind the joint holders of the men’s Grand Slam record, Federer and Rafael Nadal.
Djokovic has been helped by temporary changes to the ranking system because of the coronavirus pandemic which means players can currently count tournaments from two years instead of one.
However, he is still the in-form player on the men’s tour, beginning 2021 by winning nine consecutive matches while last year he did not lose a completed match until the French Open final in October.
Djokovic’s fifth spell at the top of the rankings began on 3 February last and he has been number one for all but 32 weeks since Federer hit 310 weeks in June 2018.
His longest stint as number one was 122 weeks between July 2014 and November 2016.
Djokovic sits on 12,030 points – more than 2,000 clear of Rafael Nadal, with Daniil Medvedev and Dominic Thiem the only other players with more than 7,000 points.
However, he still trails the women’s number one record holder Steffi Graf who held top spot for 377 weeks, while Martina Navratilova (332) and Serena Williams (319) have also had longer spells at number one than Djokovic.
- Close down Office of the Auditor-General – GHAMRO CEO fumes
- Fuel prices to increase by 7%-13% from February 1, 2023 – IES
- Al Sadd and Andre Ayew agree to contract termination
- Monkeypox Outbreak: Ghana records four deaths, 116 cases
- Ghana officially opens its market to US pork and pork products export
- Debt Exchange Programme: Article 71 Office Holders must take a 50% haircut – Labour Federation
- Education Ministry cautions against payment of money for school placement
- Full video: SHS computerised placement for sale
- Adomfe goes sombre as cop, family killed in fire are buried
- Minority Leadership Change: Party is not divided – Asiedu Nketia assures NDC-UK
- Bawumia hosts American Football delegation as 9 young Ghanaians set for NFL Pro Bowl in the US
- AfDB and IFAD to build food systems resilience in Africa through ‘Mission 1 for 200’ initiative
- Swansea fans clamor for Andre Ayew return
- Total Mobile Money transactions in 2022 hit record ¢1.07trillion
- CHAN 2022: We didn’t deserve to lose – Annor Walker on defeat to Niger
- Novak Djokovic says 10th Australian Open is his ‘biggest victory’
- T-bills auction: Government records 60% oversubscription
- Novak Djokovic: Why can’t the next generation stop the Australian Open champion?
- Michael B. Jordan jokes about his break up with Lori Harvey during ‘SNL’ monologue
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City still winless as Hasaacas Ladies beat LadyStrikers
- The Fourth Estate uncovers fraud in SHS computerised placement
- Ghanaian Farmer TV host to join agric stakeholders in Turkey to promote farmers’ success stories
- Modernisation, harmonisation of regulatory frameworks critical for universal broadband coverage by 2030 – Ralph Mupita
- Tax payers can object to taxes imposed with right documents – Tax Expert
- New chief falls from palanquin during coronation in Central Region