About 60 people living in a camp for the homeless have been killed in a brutal overnight attack in the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
At around 02:00 local time, men armed with guns and machetes raided Plaine Savo, set up for those forced to flee their homes in the province of Ituri because of inter-ethnic conflict.
The local chief said most of the victims were women and children. Many of them had their throats slit.
“I first heard cries when I was still in bed. Then several minutes of gunshots. I fled and I saw torches and people crying for help,” a camp resident told the Reuters news agency.
Another 40 people have been injured, according to the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), which provides aid to the camp.
The Codeco militia has been blamed for the massacre.
Its fighters are mainly drawn from the Lendu farming community, which has been at loggerheads with the province’s Hema cattle herders.
The NRC says there has been a steep escalation of deliberate and targeted attacks by armed groups against displaced people in Ituri.
Since November, nearly 70 people have been killed in raids on five other camps, it says.
“These attacks have triggered new waves of mass displacement and plunged already vulnerable populations into a climate of terror,” the NRC said.
An estimated 1.7 million people have been forced to flee their homes in Ituri since violence began to escalate several years ago.
- Sacked police chief arrested in connection with $150m corruption scandal
- Couple crushed to death on their engagement day
- I was 5 months pregnant when I found out my boyfriend was gay
- Florida nabs largest python ever found in state
- Ablakwa’s claim of Akufo-Addo flying ‘Luxury Monster’ inaccurate – Presidency
- Influencers’ Block: An African mother’s zip forced ‘Kofi ne Ama’ to break the internet
- My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan
- Khaby Lame becomes world’s most-followed TikToker
- Parliament orders immediate withdrawal of soldiers used for installation of Krobo prepaid meters
- Anny Osabutey: Why the smell of Akpeteshie is difficult to shake off
Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
MTN celebrates 12 years of Ashantifest with exciting activities
WAFU B U-17 tournament: Black Starlets win bronze after beating Ivory Coast
NFL star Ezekiel Ansah donates to 14 health centres in Akropong
Ghana to get a comprehensive haematology and sickle cell centre – Project lead
I never said Akufo-Addo travelled in D-Alex – Ablakwa
McDan justifies ‘a woman’s money is not her husband’s’ comment
Eugene Arhin cannot justify Akufo-Addo’s ‘Luxury Monster’ flight – Ablakwa
Albert Kwabena Dwumfour elected GJA president
Morocco commended for progress made in women’s rights
GCB Bank management meets chief executive of AMA
I have what it takes to be president of Ghana – Michael Blackson
TikTok is not killing my music – Fameye
CIMG to conduct surveys for insurance industry, others; holds 32nd AGM
My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan