Audio By Carbonatix
The Education Minister's Press Secretary says Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh is fine following reports that he was on admission at the University of Ghana Medical Centre (UGMC) for Covid-19.
Rodney Nkrumah Boateng said the Minister is doing well although the result for a second test is yet to be released.
"The Education Minister is fine, he is in a good state," Mr. Boateng said on Joy FM's Newsnite on Wednesday.
Earlier Wednesday, a statement was issued by the Education Minister's Press Secretary indicating that the Minister has been admitted at the University of Ghana's Medical Centre.
According to the statement, the Minister had earlier tested negative for the virus after feeling unwell but after showing symptoms of Covid-19 following a trip to his Constituency, he decided to take a second test.
"This (his earlier test results that proved negative) informed the decision to travel to his constituency for his acclamation on Saturday 20th June, 2020, but after his trip, he felt unwell again and this influenced his decision to take another test," the statement said.
Although the results of the second is yet to be released, Rodney is hopeful that the second result will be negative as well "but in an instance where what we don't expect happens," Rodney says the Ministry is putting in place measures to ensure that life at the Ministry continues.
"It's very difficult to speculate at the moment but he's in the hands of medical doctors at the centre," he said.
He disclosed that the Ministry has already put in place systems and measures to prevent staff from getting infected with Covid-19.
"We have two solar powered hand washing equipment installed at the entrance, we have a contact list temperature testing system, we have sanitizers at various points, rotational staff, etc," he said
"We've also had fumigation exercises in the past couple of weeks,
He added that staff that work in close proximity with the Minister are in self isolation and have undergone testing as a precautionary measure whiles awaiting the outcome of the test.
"Measures are being put in place to ensure that activities at the Ministry continue even without the physical presence of the Minister," he further indicated.
Latest Stories
-
This Saturday on Newsfile: Burkina Faso attack, Ofori-Atta off red notice and CJ’s petition dismissal
4 minutes -
Ghana Link dismisses ‘missing’ transit truck claims
11 minutes -
French soldier dies after being shot in the head during ‘game’ with other soldiers
12 minutes -
Urgent research needed to tackle AI threats, says Google AI boss
17 minutes -
Digital harassment against women MPs undermines democracy – GenCED
19 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
22 minutes -
Rare prison sentences handed to Cameroon soldiers after killing of 21 civilians
26 minutes -
Birim North Police, Blue Water Guards arrest illegal chainsaw operators in dawn raid
31 minutes -
Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft: Mother of two remanded as prosecution alleges syndicate plot
37 minutes -
‘World Cup ticket isn’t a free pass’ – US Embassy warns Ghanaian fans against visa overstay
51 minutes -
Christian Council of Ghana calls for inclusive justice on World Day of Social Justice
53 minutes -
New Juaben South MCE visits family of victim of Burkina Faso attack
1 hour -
Cocoa farmers picket COCOBOD, accuse gov’t of betrayal over prices
1 hour -
Ban on non-ferrous scrap export to boost processed metal earnings by up to $300m annually – Mahama
1 hour -
US economy slows in final months after turbulent year
1 hour
