An estate developer has been charged with defrauding by false pretence for allegedly taking GH¢385,000 from his colleague after promising to secure him a parcel of land.
According to the prosecutor, Daniel Tortor Torgbor did not own or had access to the land in question contrary to what he had told the complainant.
Police say checks at the Lands Commission indicated that the land belonged to the State.
Daniel Tortor Torgbor was arraigned at the Accra Circuit Court presided over by Samuel Bright Acquah and pleaded not guilty to the charge.
He has since been remanded in police custody to reappear on Monday, January 16.
Chief Inspector Agatha A. Asantewaa narrating the facts of the case to the court said in 2016, two estate agents, George Abu Kandala and Issah Boti told the complainant about an acre of land available for sale at Cantonments in Osu.
The complainant then expressed interest and was introduced to the accused person as the allodial owner of the property.
The prosecutor added that Daniel Tortor Torgbor subsequently negotiated with the complainant and they agreed on an amount of $700,000 for the acre of land.
C/Insp. Asantewaa said Torgbor demanded and took GH¢385,000, the equivalent of $100,000 at the time claiming it was to enable him to prepare documents of the land.
However, he failed to honour his side of the agreement which led the complainant to make some checks at the Lands Commission and later found out that the said land did not belong to the accused person.
The prosecutor told the court that the accused person later promised to replace the land for the complainant.
C/Insp. Asantewaa said the accused person then introduced the complainant to a land at Sakumono Ramsar Site but failed to provide documents for that land as well.
According to her, Torgbor took the complainant to three different locations in Accra but all three trips were unproductive.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- Substantial elements of Anti-LGBTQ bill have been modified – Akufo-Addo
- Debt servicing relief: China pledges to support Ghana
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- U.S government to send resident advisor to help Ghana attain debt sustainability
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Build partnerships to increase digital inclusion – Kamala Harris
- Majority MPs wear black as Parliament mourns late Philip Basoah
- Together we will address the challenges we face – Kamala Harris on partnership with Africa
- Falling oil price only explanation for low fuel prices
- Policy rate increase will exacerbate challenges confronting businesses, hamper growth and employment – GNCCI
- You don’t need money to make money; you need mindset – Oscar Bimpong
- Banks record significant losses due to DDEP – BoG
- US is committed to strengthening relationship with Africa – Kamala Harris
- Bond market: Trading activity in government bonds slumps by 15.5
- Let’s continue to invest in good governance, democracy – Kamala Harris
- T-bills auction: Government to borrow ¢1.34bn this week
- We’ll fish out our MPs who approved Akufo-Addo’s ministers – Joseph Yamin
- Cedi starts week on strong note; $1 now ¢12.25
- Women must be given more leadership roles – Kamala Harris
- Comprehensive gender policy needed to fight gender-based violence – EGDC boss