Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus say they will continue with European Super League plans, claiming to have successfully argued against Uefa punishment.
A joint statement from the three clubs said a court decision on Friday in Madrid means European football’s governing body have an “obligation” to terminate disciplinary proceedings against them.
Uefa paused action in June when the case was passed to the European Court of Justice.
Twelve clubs announced themselves as founder members of the Super League in April, but the proposed breakaway competition collapsed within 72 hours after nine withdrew amid fan protest, opposition from Uefa, Fifa and domestic leagues, the British Government and Royal Family.
Juve, Barca and Real are the only sides not to have renounced the breakaway league and have again reiterated their intention to “keep developing the Super League project”.
‘Confidence in the ESL remains’
They added that they intend to do so by working with governing bodies, leagues, fans, players, managers and clubs – all stakeholders which opposed the breakaway competition when it was initially announced.
“Clubs participating in European competitions have the right to govern their own competitions,” the clubs continued in a statement.
“We are pleased that going forward we will no longer be subject to Uefa’s ongoing threats.
“We are aware that there are elements of our proposal that should be reviewed and, of course, can be improved through dialogue and consensus.
“We remain confident in the success of a project that will be always compliant with European Union laws.”
Uefa has declined to respond to the statement from the three clubs.
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who was named as the ESL’s founding chairman, has previously said the 12 clubs that agreed to join a new European Super League have “binding contracts” and “cannot leave”.
Uefa told to ‘unwind action’ against clubs
The nine which have distanced themselves – Manchester City, Chelsea, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Atletico Madrid – were handed financial punishments by Uefa in May.
The six Premier League clubs also agreed to make a separate “goodwill” payment totalling £22m in June.
The trio that remain say European football’s governing body must now “unwind the actions taken against all” sides involved in the ESL.
“The court backs the request made by the promoters of the European Super League, dismisses Uefa’s appeal, and confirms its warning to Uefa that failure to comply with its ruling shall result in fines and potential criminal liability,” the clubs said.
“The case will be assessed by the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg, which shall review Uefa’s monopolistic position over European football.”
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Dr. Appiahene has never been a TESCON patron – Henry Boakye debunks claims
- Nyarko is a helpless romantic in new single ‘You’
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mineral companies
- Ghanaians in diaspora urged to showcase identity and culture
- We have been commended for Ashaiman invasion – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- Academic City’s Tech Expo showcases innovative technologies to drive Ghana’s agricultural industry
- Women, youth in Keta to be economically empowered – Dr Jones-Mensah
- Claim that G4O fuel sells at higher prices than other sources inaccurate- NPA
- I like performing at award events than receiving awards – Kelvynboy
- 5 ways to keep your friendships strong even when life is hectic
- Mahama wasn’t hooted at enskinment of new Yagbonwura; ignore Koku Anyidoho’s fake video – NDC
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde and husband celebrate 27 years of marriage
- Organ-trafficking Nigerian politician, wife found guilty
- Afcon 2023: We will ‘play to win’ against Hughton’s Ghana – Angola coach