The Football Association has condemned racist abuse aimed at England players Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka after Sunday’s Euro 2020 final defeat by Italy.
All three players missed penalties in the 3-2 shootout loss and were targeted on social media after the game.
The FA said it was “appalled” by the abuse.
England’s players have taken the knee before games at the Euros to highlight the fight against racial inequality.
“We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team,” said the FA in a statement.
“We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.
“We will continue to do everything we can to stamp discrimination out of the game, but we implore government to act quickly and bring in the appropriate legislation so this abuse has real life consequences.
“Social media companies need to step up and take accountability and action to ban abusers from their platforms, gather evidence that can lead to prosecution and support making their platforms free from this type of abhorrent abuse.”
Rashford highlighted racial abuse he received on social media in May after losing the Europa League final with Manchester United.
And last year Sancho was among sport stars protesting against racism following the murder of George Floyd by a police officer in Minneapolis.
Social media companies have been criticised for a perceived lack of action on racist abuse on their platforms, and in April Instagram announced a tool to enable users to automatically filter out abusive messages from those they do not follow.
Following numerous instances of online abuse, a number of clubs, players, athletes and sporting bodies took part in a four-day boycott of social media in April to encourage companies to take a stronger stance against racist and sexist abuse.
- WAEC explains BECE grading system
- Officials of China Mall, Shoprite, Palace Mall picked up for tax violations
- 8 persons arrested in ‘School placement for sale’ exposé
- 3 grabbed for pulling down storey building at Cantonments
- Cost of fuel: Ghanaians must pay fair market prices – PUMA Energy President
- Pay Toure over ¢100k within 45 days or face transfer ban – FIFA orders Medeama
- Don’t stop attending church because of my broken marriage – Osofo Kyiri Abosom tells congregation
- Gospel musician accuses police of killing her brother in a scuffle over cash
- South Africa calls on MTN, Ghana to resolve $773m tax dispute
- There is no coming back from this – Husband of Yellow Sisi Waakye seller
- My next girlfriend will enjoy a more sophisticated me – Kwabena Kwabena
- Northern Development Authority CEO, 3 others plead not guilty to corruption charges, granted bail
- Consumption and expected cost for new tariff to be catalogued in Reckoner – ECG
- Danger looms as school children around Tapa Abotoase risk their lives for education
- Korle Bu Hospital doctors threaten strike over unpaid arrears
- Afia Schwarzenegger fined GH¢60k in contempt case
- Former UGSRC Veep vows to defeat John Dumelo in Ayawaso West NDC primaries
- 3 teacher unions call on GES to halt emergency transfers
- Bond market turnover falls by 54% to ¢954.15m
- Michael Jackson’s nephew to play singer in new biopic
- Fanmilk PLC rewards 74 trade partners in ‘Bronya Akyede Kese’ promo
- ‘You can’t transform basic education if you keep cutting budget for the sector’
- Assault of Latif: Attorney General begs for time to pursue settlement talks
- Minority leadership reshuffle: The change is a needless distraction – Okudzeto Ablakwa
- World Leprosy Day: Bawumia appeals against stigmatisation