Audio By Carbonatix
UK mattress companies Silent Night and newly-listed Eve Sleep have had to halt production at factories after being told there was a risk of excessive levels of a carcinogenic ingredient in its foam mattresses.
German chemicals giant BASF wrote to mattress makers and 48 other companies earlier this week to say that it had found that an ingredient it produced, TDI, contained unusually high levels of toxic ingredient dichlorobenzen following a "technical error".
Dichlorobenzene is an organic compound that is toxic to water organisms and can cause irritation of eyes, skin and respiratory tract in humans and is suspected of causing cancer, the company said.
TDI is a chemical precursor needed to make upholstery in furniture, such as foam mattresses and car seats.
Silent Night shut down production at one of its factories to perform emergency checks on its mattresses while it investigated the situation.

Former Prime Minister David Cameron visiting a Silent Night factory
"Following this thorough investigation, we can confirm that there has been no impact whatsoever on the quality or safety of any products manufactured at our Silentnight Group sites," a Silent Night spokesman said. "While we have now resumed manufacturing, there is likely to be some disruption in the short term."
Meanwhile, Eve Sleep is understood to have halted production at the German factory which supplies the company while checks were performed.
"Eve’s UK and French products are produced in the UK using a separate supply route and were therefore never potentially affected," said a spokesman. "As a precaution, manufacturing was suspended immediately at the German factory, which supplies Eve’s European customers (excluding the UK and France). We can now confirm that all our products are completely unaffected and absolutely safe for customers.”
Rival Simba Sleep, which sells memory foam mattresses, said that initial checks found that it would not be affected by the cancer scare.
BASF said that it had now conducted initial tests on the foams with higher levels of the toxic ingredient. It found that "health hazards are not anticipated for consumers" and that two-thirds of the foam had not been processed through supply chains.
"The withdrawal of the product has started in close cooperation with the customers," the company said. "BASF is in close contact with the relevant associations for mattresses and foam producers in order to find a solution as quickly as possible."
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
36 minutes -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
44 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
53 minutes -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
1 hour -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
1 hour -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
1 hour -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
1 hour -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
1 hour -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
2 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
2 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
2 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
2 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
2 hours -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
3 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
3 hours