Former midfielder of Accra Hearts of Oak, Esme Mends, is urging star striker, Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to forget about the CHAN tournament and leave the rainbow club in an attempt to seek greener pastures abroad.
He believes if there is an opportunity for Barnieh to join any interested club abroad, the player should not risk it by playing in the CHAN tournament.
The 21-year-old Black Stars striker, according to media reports, is running out of contract with the Phobians this month, with concerns that the player will not extend his stay at Hearts of Oak.
Failure to sign the contract extension may cost Afriyie Barnieh a place in the Black Galaxies of Ghana team ahead of the CHAN tournament in Algeria next month because the tournament is for players with permanent running contracts with local clubs.
It is understood, the management of the former Ghana Premier League champions have made efforts to renew ties with the young attacker but according to reports, Barnieh is not willing to extend his stay at the club.
This development has divided opinions of fans of the club and former players of the team. While others think Barnieh should leave the team now, a good number of the fans have called on him to stay at the club.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with Luv Sports on Kick Off, Esme Mends, who spent five years at Hearts of Oak between 2008 and 2013, advised Afriyie Barnieh to forget about the CHAN tournament and leave Hearts of Oak.
“If I am to advise Barnieh concerning this CHAN and moving out, I will just say, Barnieh should move out because if he goes to this tournament, picks up an injury, what next for him?
“Players have their dream, they have their targets, they have their goals, I know definitely Barnieh’s goal is to play in Europe. This is the opportunity; he has been to the World Cup so missing the CHAN shouldn’t be an issue.
“You grab what’s in your hands. There is no guarantee in life, so if you don’t grab today, that’s it, some opportunities don’t come back,” he said
Esme Mends is however hoping Barnieh extends the contract in order for the club to benefit from any impending transfer.
“The last conversation I had with him, he wants to sign, he wants Accra Hearts of Oak to make some money so I don’t want people to paint the boy black, I will urge people not to blame him.
“He is not pushing out like he really wants to leave Accra Hearts of Oak. I am confident he will move out but I pray he renews so he is transferred through Accra Hearts of Oak.
Afriyie Barnieh is currently in camp with the Black Galaxies preparing for the 2023 African Nations Championship (CHAN) slated to be held in Algeria between Jan 13, 2023 – Sat, Feb 4, 2023.
- Petrol, diesel now sell at ¢15.25, ¢15.90 per litre at pumps
- Stonebwoy revisits VGMA brawl with Shatta Wale on The Breakfast Club
- Trader jailed for causing harm to ‘Good Samaritan’
- Debt exchange: I don’t want to believe there are conmen in government – Carbonu on pensions
- UTAG-GIJ threatens to withdraw from UniMac merger
- Cedi to remain stable against dollar
- Fire kills mother, 2 daughters at Abuakwa
- You’re not alone – Kalybos mourns with Ahuofe Patri after her mum’s passing
- Ghana’s economy to rebound in 2024 – IMF
- Police investigate alleged murder of Gospel musician’s brother by officers
- Akufo-Addo presents 175 vehicles, communication equipment to Armed Forces
- Akufo-Addo commissions 300-bed capacity soldiers’ block at 37 Military Hospital
- JoyBusiness Masterclass: Organisations urged to prioritise mental well-being of employees
- Newly refurbished Yendi Emergency and Trauma Centre to boost healthcare
- Sack Ofori-Atta, Agyeman-Manu, Oppong Nkrumah, others over Covid-19 expenditure – NDC
- Agenda 111: Government not committed to completing projects – Akandoh
- Worldreader and Sabre Education announce partnership on World Read Aloud Day
- Government bridges the gap between industry and TVET
- NDC slams ‘Akufo-Addo government’ over ‘naked thievery and misuse of covid-19 funds’
- Hemang Lower Denkyira MP collaborates with Ghanaian-German Centre to tackle unemployment
- Dear Unc’ Kwesi Yankah – RE: Dear Ace, are we celebrating independence this year?
- Antonio Conte to undergo gallbladder removal surgery
- Qualification to 2023 World Athletics Championships is a huge relief- Deborah Acquah
- GRA descends on Melcom over issuance of fake electronic VAT invoices
- TiTi Owusu returns with new single, ‘Odo Ntia’