Audio By Carbonatix
Four journalists in Burundi, Agnès Ndirubusa, Christine Kamikazi, Térence Mpozenzi and Egide Harerimana, have been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail each after a court found them guilty of threatening the security of the state.
They were also fined one million Burundi francs ($530; £405) each.
The journalists from the Iwacu newspaper and their driver were arrested in October while investigating fighting between government soldiers and a rebel group near the Congolese border.
The driver was acquitted by the court.
The journalists' lawyer said they were surprised and would appeal against Thursday's ruling.
"We had given proof to the court that the journalists were simply doing their profession," Clement Retirakiza told the BBC.
Human Rights Watch said the four were prosecuted for doing their work.
However, the prosecution told the BBC that the journalists were not held because of their profession.
Earlier this month, the EU parliament condemned the government of Burundi for “intimidating, violating and prosecuting without real charges independent journalists, opposition and rights activists”.
Rights groups accuse the Burundian government of oppressing the media. Since 2018 the Voice of America and the BBC have been banned from broadcasting in Burundi.
Latest Stories
-
At least 100 deaths reported in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo as 6 Americans exposed
2 minutes -
Shakira wins £50m tax refund from Spanish government
3 minutes -
Gunman kills four and injures eight in Turkey, media reports say
4 minutes -
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt booed by graduates at mention of AI
4 minutes -
Married at First Sight UK brides tell BBC they were raped by on-screen husbands
4 minutes -
Sam George, Abena Osei Asare clash over poor network service and delays in fixing faults
5 minutes -
Northern Police arrest suspect over intimate video circulation
7 minutes -
Judge rules gun, writings are admissible in Luigi Mangione’s New York murder trial
9 minutes -
NDC has endured judicial hostility more than any party – Kwakye Ofosu attacks GBA over alleged bias
11 minutes -
Wontumi pleads not guilty to fraud charges, GH₵30m financial loss to Ghana EXIM Bank
14 minutes -
Death toll from Israeli strikes on Lebanon passes 3,000, officials say
14 minutes -
Global supply chain disruptions spark fresh focus on procurement as experts call for ethics and transparency
16 minutes -
Man’s conviction quashed for 2018 murder in County Louth
26 minutes -
Homeless Ghanaian in Canada notorious for ‘shit-bombing’ re-arrested over alleged sexual assault
32 minutes -
Telecel Foundation bridges maternal health gap at Kasseh Health Centre in Ada
53 minutes