Ghana’s Ornella Sathoud, whose story drew interest because she has a PhD in Analytical Chemistry, fought today, July 29.
She lost her middleweight boxing bout to Kerry Davis of England at the ongoing Commonwealth Games.
Ornella – who has a Congolese dad and a Ghanaian mum – turns 35 this year, while Kerry is ten years younger, and was clearly faster and slicker in the fight.
Kerry is a multiple champion across several top competitors. Her mother was a national athlete for England in karate so she practiced it throughout her childhood. But she didn’t like it much. In fact, Kerry was very good at football!
It was at age 15 that she switched to boxing because she felt more proficient and could see a brighter future there.
“Football kind of went out the window as soon as I started boxing. I love it because it’s an individual sport, so even though it makes it kind of harder you don’t have to rely on anyone else. You get what you put in.”
Kerry tried two different times to make the national boxing team, and failed. This time, she made it to the Commonwealth Games.
Beating Ornella means Kerry qualifies to the last 16.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Debt Exchange: Do not touch our pensions – TUC warns government
- Government has not demonstrated ‘we are in this together’ anthem – Titus Beyuo
- You are on your own – John Kumah tells bondholders who reject debt exchange programme
- Livestream: PM Express discusses African teams’ performance in 2022 World Cup
- Let’s collaborate to strengthen bargaining position on gold pricing – Lands Minister to South African delegation
- Economic Management Team has failed us miserably – Mona Quartey
- Moody’s downgrades GCB Bank due to debt restructuring
- Don’t criticise people who give thanks to God! — Bishop Saah warns
- Immediately exempt pension funds from debt exchange programme – GMA tells government
- GMA rejects debt exchange programme
- GSTEP team transforming plastic wastes into plastic houses
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Virologist alarmed over typhoid drug resistance; says vaccine is needed
- 2022 World Cup: Morocco beat Spain on penalties to book quarterfinal spot
- Transforming women health leadership for improved health outcomes
- Not one pesewa of pension funds will be lost to Debt Restructuring Programme – TUC