Hearts of Oak were denied a second win in four days in the Ghana Premier League following a stalemate with Ashanti Gold on Thursday night.
After securing a 2-1 win at Dreams last Sunday, the Phobians failed to make the most of their home advantage as they settled for a point against the Miners at the Accra Sports Stadium.
The draw leaves the Phobians on ninth position on the league table, five places adrift of Ashgold.
Hearts made a great start and created the first chance of the game in the 15th minute when Robert Addo’s header was saved by goalkeeper Frank Boateng.
However, AshGold responded in the 36th minute with a great effort which forced Hearts goalkeeper Richard Atta into making an acrobatic save.
Two minutes later, Hearts were unlucky not to take the lead after striker Daniel Afriyie spurned a glorious opportunity as he failed to convert from just two yards after goalkeeper Boateng fumbled in his attempt to handle a corner.
Few minutes into the second half, Afriyie wasted another good chance, this time shooting feebly into the goalkeeper’s arm after being sent one-on-one.
Richard Atta was then called into action with a save at the other end after Appiah McCarthy shot from long range.
Hearts had a penalty shout ignored by the referee three minutes later before the Phobians found the back of the net only to see the goal denied for offside.
Five minutes to full-time, Hearts went close once again but Kofi Kordzi’s glancing header went off target, the attacker having connected to a Benjamin Eshun cross.
Re-Live the action:
- Christian Atsu: Hatayspor official says there was mistaken identity, player still not found
- Turkey Earthquakes: Christian Atsu can’t be located 24 hours after rescue – Family
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- 32-year-old nurse commits suicide in Kpasera, Savannah Region
- Death of Gospel musician’s brother: Pathologist cites asphyxiation, obstruction of airway by foreign body as cause of death
- Haruna Iddrisu did not sell out NDC to us – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu
- DDEP: Government grants 3-day administrative window for bondholders to complete processes
- ‘The Lord is your shepherd, you shall not want’ – Bagbin prays for Haruna Iddrisu and co
- Government forcing banks to coerce customers to accept DDEP – Senyo Hosi
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- We’ll not allow the Judiciary to be used to intimidate Ablakwa from carrying out mandate – Minority
- Group prevails on Energy Commission to lift ban on importation of used electrical appliances
- Death of gospel musician’s brother: Is weed okro for one to swallow eight easily? – Family quizzes
- Tema Motorway is gone; apply common sense when driving – Expert tells drivers
- UGBS launch innovation and incubation hub to support start-ups
- DDEP: We are testing Ofori-Atta’s Christianity – Individual bondholders on call for exemption
- Debt Exchange: Over GH¢31bn of bonds to be restructured will mature this year
- Some Ghanaian artistes are egoistic and shortsighted – Jay Foley
- NPA to drag 47 OMCs to court for non-payment of PDM collected
- Ashanti Regional NDC leadership hands over Suame Youth Organiser to Police
- We are still opposed to C.I which makes Ghana Card only source document for voters’ registration – Minority
- Ministerial appointments do not cost as much as people think – Dr. Adomako Kissi
- Visiting green spaces 3-4 times weekly may lower your need for meds, according to new study
- Use legal means to challenge imposition of back-tax – GRA to multinational companies
- Amidatu Kassim: Partnering with men and boys to end FGM – a call to action