Audio By Carbonatix
President Akufo-Addo has reaffirmed the government's commitment to aiding victims affected by the Akosombo dam spillage-induced floods.
Ensuring the affected individuals receive the necessary support to restore normalcy to their lives is a top priority for the government, says the President.
Delivering his address at the 67th Independence Day Celebrations in Koforidua on Wednesday, March 6, President Akufo-Addo assured Ghanaians that the government would extend full support to the victims of the spillage.
"I must, at this stage, reaffirm the Government’s continued commitment to providing the support for victims of the recent, extensive flooding in downstream communities, in the Greater Accra, Eastern and Volta Regions, caused by the spillage of the Akosombo Dam last year – a necessary action which was taken to maintain the dam's structural integrity," he said.
President Akufo-Addo disclosed that the Ministry of Finance has released GH¢80 million out of the pledged GH¢220 million to aid in the ongoing rehabilitation efforts of the affected communities.
“I must, at this stage, reaffirm the Government’s continued commitment to providing support for victims of the recent, extensive flooding in downstream communities, in the Greater Accra, Eastern and Volta Regions, caused by the spillage of the Akosombo Dam last year – a necessary action which was taken to maintain the dam's structural integrity.”
“As set out in the 2024 budget, Government has set aside GH¢220 million, of which GH¢80 million has already been released by the Ministry of Finance, to support the ongoing rehabilitation efforts for the affected communities,” he added.
Last year, the Volta River Authority (VRA) initiated water spillage from the Akosombo and Kpong dams, commencing on September 15, 2023.
This action was necessitated by a consistent rise in the inflow pattern and water level of the Akosombo reservoir, leading to the overflow of the Volta River.
The overflow resulted in widespread flooding and displacement of settlements across nine different district assemblies in the Volta and Eastern regions, including North, Central, and South Tongu District Assemblies, Asuogyaman, Shai Osudoku, and Ada.
The flooding submerged communities and displaced nearly 15,000 individuals in the Volta, Eastern, and Greater Accra Regions.
In response, the government allocated GH¢220 million as part of the 2024 budget to support relief efforts for communities affected by the floods resulting from the Akosombo Dam spillage in November 2023.
Latest Stories
-
Ga Mantse urges mining industry to protect communities beyond the life of mines
12 minutes -
Empowerher in Upper West region
33 minutes -
Ga Mantse challenges mining stakeholders to consider long-term impact of Ghana’s mineral wealth
42 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin accuses GoldBod of mismanaging Ghana’s gold resources
42 minutes -
Non-interest banking products must meet required standards – BoG Governor to NIFAC
43 minutes -
Social licence to mine can be withdrawn – Ga Mantse warns mining companies
44 minutes -
X1 Energy Drink Division One Super Cup: Attram De Visser secure third place after late own goal
45 minutes -
‘A mine may close, but the community must not’ – Ga Mantse calls for sustainable mining
47 minutes -
UG Pro VC calls for an integrated risk management approach to tackle Ghana’s perennial flooding
54 minutes -
Parents can buy additional NaCCA-approved textbooks for children – Deputy NaCCA boss
57 minutes -
Youth must have a real voice in national issues beyond jobs, creative arts – EU
59 minutes -
AGTC: How women-led initiative is turning golf into jobs and tourism opportunities
1 hour -
Exporters call for single-digit interest rates to boost Ghana’s horticulture sector
1 hour -
Young political leaders must look beyond party lines to strengthen Ghana’s democracy – EU
1 hour -
25 female KNUST physics students receive GH¢87,500 Whittaker Foundation suppo
1 hour