Audio By Carbonatix
The Executive Director of the Institute for Education Services (IFEST), Dr Peter Anti says that until the government recognises the problem with the funding of the free SHS programme, no progress can be made in addressing the issue.
According to him, Ghanaians can voice their concerns about the issues of the Free SHS programme but they do not have the power to enact the necessary changes.
This comes on the back of Accra Academy's power disconnection over a GHS480,000 debt owed to the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) since July 2023.
Speaking on JoyNews he stated that, the government should have anticipated an increase in enrollment when the free SHS program was introduced.
"While we were doing double track, we should have made a conscious effort to improve the infrastructure in our schools. Now we don’t know what is happening, we decided to go and do other kinds of projects within the same education sector,” he said on Tuesday.
Dr. Anti believes that the leaders of Ghana's educational system need to take responsibility for the challenges facing the system and work to find solutions.
"They hold the answer to the challenges that we are facing and till they accept that it is a challenge, we are going to continue with the talking and interaction and the complaints. I know schools where parents are contributing money to go and pay for pre-paid. I know schools where parents are contributing money to tile the dormitories because the dormitories look like an untarred road," he said.
“I know schools where parents are contributing money to buy beds. Why should it be so? Because the money that we should use to continue to provide these things for the school are not coming."
The Executive director of IFEST, argues that relying solely on government funding for free SHS is not a sustainable solution.
He added that secondary schools need additional sources of funding beyond what the government can provide.
“For me, I don’t care where it is coming from but so far as it’s going to support the implementation of a policy that enable my children to attend secondary school for free, I think that we need to pursue that particular tangent,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
13 minutes -
Video: Moment Arsenal players found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
17 minutes -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
47 minutes -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
48 minutes -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
48 minutes -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
49 minutes -
Future Athletics stars ready to shine at UG Invitational meet
51 minutes -
Asantewaa Empowerment Initiative launches campaign against drug abuse and teenage pregnancy in Juaben
52 minutes -
PAC orders Anlo-Afiadanyigba SHS to pay GH₵10k arrears to casual workers
1 hour -
Rockefeller Foundation awards over US$350m, reaching 731 million people amid global aid decline
1 hour -
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
2 hours -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
2 hours -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
2 hours -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
2 hours -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
2 hours