A preparation match between the Ghana Black Starlets and Home Stars FC was rained off after about 10 minutes of play at the Ho Sports Stadium.
Referee Rustum Senorgbe ended the match due to the severity of the rain and the waterlogged state of the pitch.
Sections of the deteriorated pitch could be best described as dams, as they got flooded with large volumes of water.
Spectators didn’t mince words subjecting sports authorities in the region to rebuke, expressing their disgust and disappointments in the authority for releasing the pitch for outdoor events at a fee.
“They will host all kinds of programmes here. Jamz, Crusades, just name them, the pitch was left in a bad state after the trade fair was held here.”
“The Regional Minister promised they will fix the stadium [after the Volta Trade and Investment Fair]”, lamented a fan.
“Regional Minister, this is a day of shame for Volta Region. And all the stakeholders, you are all quiet,” said Osei Foster, a sports presenter.
Some irate spectators who demanded a refund of the ticket fee locked the main gate and held hostage, some Management members of Home Stars FC.
They prevented them from leaving the stadium until their GHC5.00 each is refunded.
“This is the only thing that makes us happy, the Regional Minister and the [Sports] Council are very much aware that this is the only thing that makes we Voltarians very happy”
“This is where we enjoy football, but they have decided to use the park as a church auditorium, they have organised a series of programmes on this pitch but they have refused to repair it”, said a football enthusiast.
He further indicated that “the Regional Minister promised us, after the Fair, that they will do the park, but until now they have done nothing”.
The hold up degenerated into a fisticuff between the protestors and some spectators who attempted to force their way through the gate.
Calm was restored after about 5 minutes of a free for all fight.
The disappointed football lovers implored stakeholders to immediately commence renovation works on the pitch.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- ‘Little drops of the Word’ launched to help facilitate Christian children upbringing
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers
- Playback: Personality Profile hosts Zahara
- Recent frequent rainfall is not a new phenomenon – Chief Forecaster
- Turbo-Jets win second edition of Adonai Osagyefo Basketball Championship