Former captain of the Black Stars, Asamoah Gyan, says he does not understand the role that comes with his new General Captain title.
The country’s record goalscorer with 51 goals said, “a captain is a captain…I don’t understand the word, General Captain.”
In a bare it all interview with Daniel Dadzie on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Friday, he lamented the manner in which he was side-lined as captain of the senior football team ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) 2019.
According to him, the timing of Coach Kwasi Appiah’s decision was wrong.
The 33-year-old was expected to lead the Black Stars in their bid to end their 37-year wait for the trophy in Egypt but decided to rule himself out.
This was after he was stripped of the captaincy a month to the start of the tournament.
“I asked him [the coach] what happens if I come on the pitch, would the armband be given to me out of respect, the coach said ‘no you are no longer the captain’,” he said.
However, after the intervention of President Akufo-Addo, he was made the General Captain while his assistant Andre Ayew was confirmed as substantive Captain.
Obviously not happy with the turn of events he said such a decision “Should have come months earlier.”
According to him, he had just come back from injury and was preparing fervently for the tournament only to be hit with the news.
“The timing was bad,” he stated.
Gyan also disclosed that he did not enjoy his tenure as Captain of the Black Stars due to criticisms he described as “uncalled for”.
- Police arrest man flogging toddler in viral video
- ‘Akufo-Addo must resign; he’s giving us too much headache’ – Kpebu
- Loans to become more expensive as BoG hikes policy rate to 24.5%
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line into sea for 9 years
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- BoG dollar auction: Demand outstrips supply by $72.2m as $1 hits ¢10.92
- Social media users impressed with Black Sherif’s ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Government using IMF as smokescreen to force its ‘austerity budget’ on Ghanaians – Martin Amidu
- ‘Forget about votes; call Chairman Wontumi to account’ – Martin Kpebu to Akufo-Addo
- There is too much uncertainty in the business environment – Twum Akwaboah
- Deputy Energy Minister, Amin Adam, appointed Board Chairman of global oil’s New Producers Group
- Increasing monetary policy rate will not reduce inflation – Badu Aboagye
- Austerity is bad for economic growth – Prof. Charles Ackah
- The Central Bank’s policy is wrong headed – Prof. Charles Ackah
- Akosua Agyapong eulogises mom
- ‘Horrible and terrible’ – German Ambassador on illegal mining
- My vehicle was set ablaze on Samatex premises – Wontumi alleges
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Livestream: PM Express business edition discusses impact of policy rate on businesses
- Gertrude Agyemang: Customer Service Week and the ECG prepaid meter challenge
- NDC has no evidence to prove my involvement in ‘galamsey’ – Ellembelle DCE
- KNUST students develop cost-effective instrument to measure temperature and light energy from the sun
- MP has been a challenge in fight against ‘galamsey’ in my district – Ellembelle DCE
- 2 women in court over alleged assault on Besease M/A JHS teacher