A Vietnam-based Ghanaian teacher, Mercy Agyei Ankomah, has narrated how her life has improved once she moved to the Southeast Asian country to ply her trade.
According to her, she now earns the equivalent of $1,300 as an English teacher in Vietnam in comparison to her take-home pay, which was ¢1,500 in Ghana.
In an interview on SVTV Africa, she said despite the huge sum of money she gets, she’s not paid on time due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
“This time around, the salary is better. Before the pandemic, black teachers took $600. But during the pandemic, the white teachers left. So now I take $1,300. Others also receive $1,200 to $3,000.”
“The problem is that we were sent home in February due to a festival. So I have nothing to rely on. We are in March, and it’s the same,” she told DJ Nyaami.
According to the former Juaben Senior High School teacher, she lived a comfortable life in Ghana, but she decided to travel based on some travel agent’s sugarcoated words.
She stated that she had a tough time when she first arrived in Vietnam in 2019.
She advised Ghanaians not to travel to Vietnam for greener pastures because there are no jobs aside from teaching English.
Madam Ankomah stated that she has no plans of coming back to Ghana despite all these.
“You work for two months and stay home for seven months and spend all the money. I’m not making up my mind to come to Ghana, but I’m not also ready to stay here. I know Ghana is expensive now,” she added.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- The Weeknd named world’s Most Popular Artist by Guinness World Records
- Don’t approve 5% tax on beverages, widen tax net – Food and Beverage Association tells government
- AG Dame dialogues with UK Deputy PM over criminal justice reform
- Immigration fuels Canada’s largest population growth of over 1 million
- Walking barefoot improves menstrual flow, eyesight, sleep, hypertension, pain, and inflammation
- Jay Bahd is bigger than the ‘Best New Artist’ category – DJ Slim
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady divorce was ‘death of my dream’
- Akufo-Addo’s appointments of NPP activists to EC require amendment of Article 43 – Mahama
- ICC concerned by Russia’s ‘threats’ over Putin warrant
- Why is everyone wearing these cartoonish red boots?
- Ken Ofori-Atta leads delegation to start debt restructuring talks with China
- BBC advises staff to delete TikTok from work phones
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Explicitly state your opposition to scrapping of ex-gratia – Mahama tells NPP