A convener of the #FixTheCountry movement, Oliver Barker-Vormawor, has revealed some disturbing activities he endured at the hands of state security operatives during his time in police custody.
The activist stated that he was physically assaulted by some security personnel during his 35-day detention.
He made this revelation in an interview with the BBC.
“Some individuals in plainclothes, others heavily armed took me to a room and then started undressing me. They pushed me to the ground and kicked me about.
“All this time I was asking them, ‘can you identify yourselves?’ There was a lot of shut up and verbal intimidation. A couple of them spat on me,” he told the BBC.
On February 10, Mr Barker-Vormawor took to social media to threaten a coup following pictures emerging from the Majority Leader’s 65th birthday bash showing an ‘E-levy’-designed cake.
He posted, “If this E-Levy passes after this cake bullshit, I will do the coup myself. Useless Army!”
In a subsequent post, he explained the context in which he used the word, coup.
He was arrested on February 11 at the Kotoka International Airport, upon arriving from the United Kingdom.
On March 16, Mr Barker-Vormawor was granted a ¢2 million bail and two sureties.
Following his release, Mr Barker-Vormawor in a YouTube address alleged that he was tortured while in the custody of the police.
In response, the Deputy Attorney General and Minister for Justice had committed to investigating the claims.
According to Alfred Tuah Yeboah, the activist should provide details of his alleged torture.
- Sacked police chief arrested in connection with $150m corruption scandal
- Couple crushed to death on their engagement day
- I was 5 months pregnant when I found out my boyfriend was gay
- Florida nabs largest python ever found in state
- Ablakwa’s claim of Akufo-Addo flying ‘Luxury Monster’ inaccurate – Presidency
- Influencers’ Block: An African mother’s zip forced ‘Kofi ne Ama’ to break the internet
- My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan
- Khaby Lame becomes world’s most-followed TikToker
- Parliament orders immediate withdrawal of soldiers used for installation of Krobo prepaid meters
- Anny Osabutey: Why the smell of Akpeteshie is difficult to shake off
MTN donates to promote digital literacy in Ashanti region
18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
Livestream: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
MTN celebrates 12 years of Ashantifest with exciting activities
WAFU B U-17 tournament: Black Starlets win bronze after beating Ivory Coast
NFL star Ezekiel Ansah donates to 14 health centres in Akropong
Ghana to get a comprehensive haematology and sickle cell centre – Project lead
I never said Akufo-Addo travelled in D-Alex – Ablakwa
McDan justifies ‘a woman’s money is not her husband’s’ comment
Eugene Arhin cannot justify Akufo-Addo’s ‘Luxury Monster’ flight – Ablakwa
Albert Kwabena Dwumfour elected GJA president
Morocco commended for progress made in women’s rights
GCB Bank management meets chief executive of AMA
I have what it takes to be president of Ghana – Michael Blackson