Audio By Carbonatix
The Asantehene, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, has clarified that his role in efforts to resolve the protracted Bawku conflict was strictly mediation and not arbitration, stressing that he was not tasked to determine who was right or wrong.
Presenting the Bawku Conflict Mediation Report to President John Mahama at the Jubilee House on Tuesday, December 16, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II said his mandate was to establish facts and lay the groundwork for peace, not to pass judgment.
“I'm here not to give a judgment as to who was wrong and who was right. I'm here to present the facts as they are for us to have peace,” the Asantehene stated.
He recalled that it had been almost two and a half years since he was invited by the former administration to mediate in the Bawku conflict, which he described as a crisis that had claimed many innocent lives and grown into a major national security concern.
The Asantehene noted that following the change in government, President Mahama swiftly reaffirmed the mediation mandate, allowing the process to continue uninterrupted.
“Almost a year ago, the people of Ghana handed the mandate of the governance of Ghana to your Excellency, and you wasted no time in reaffirming the mandate of the Bawku mediation. By the grace of God, we are able to assemble here for us to present to your excellency the report of the mission you entrusted to us,” he said.
According to the Asantehene, the report was submitted for the President’s consideration, leaving subsequent actions entirely to the government.
“We present the report for your kind consideration, whatever action you and your government consider appropriate,” he added.
Otumfuo Osei Tutu II also expressed gratitude to both President Mahama and his predecessor for the confidence reposed in him to handle such a sensitive national issue, describing peace and security as the most critical concerns of the state.
Reiterating the nature of the process, he stated, “Like I said, it was a mediation. It wasn't an arbitration, and I'm not here to say that this one was wrong or this one was right. I'll present the facts as they are, and that's what it should be, binding on all of us.”
The report marks the culmination of months of mediation led by the Asantehene and forms part of broader national reconciliation efforts to address the long-standing conflict in Bawku.
The report is expected to guide the next phase of government action toward achieving sustainable peace in Bawku.
Latest Stories
-
Air Algérie Group and Africa Prosperity Network sign deal to advance ‘Make Africa Borderless Now!’ agenda
1 hour -
Africa Prosperity Network, Ethiopian Airlines explore partnership to advance ‘Make Africa Borderless Now!’ agenda
1 hour -
The truth about doing business in Ghana — Jacob West CEO Michael Kyei-Ayensu shares experience
4 hours -
From UK losses to Ghana gains: CEO of Jacob West Limited Michael Kyei-Ayensu details real estate journey
4 hours -
Over 1,000 Kenyans enlisted to fight in Russia-Ukraine war, report says
4 hours -
Robert Mugabe’s son arrested in South Africa on suspicion of attempted murder
4 hours -
Minority rejects Security and Intelligence Agencies Bill, cites ‘excessive executive powers’
5 hours -
Islamist militants accused of killing 34 in raids on Nigerian villages
5 hours -
DVLA commissions new premium service centre in Kumasi to better serve customers
5 hours -
BoG warns of downside risks to cedi as a result of dividend payments
5 hours -
Consumer spending posted mixed performance in 11 months of 2025 – BoG
5 hours -
Wa District Magistrate Court convicts three for unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition
5 hours -
There is no governance gap at Defence Ministry – Kwakye Ofosu
5 hours -
Mahama to appoint Defence Minister ‘at the right time’ – Government
6 hours -
GRA boss donates to Mahama Cares
6 hours
