A former Chief Justice, Sophia Akuffo, has expressed her displeasure with Asawase MP’s allegation that a Supreme Court Judge offered to bribe an NDC MP to influence the outcome of the Speakership elections.
Mohammed Mubarak Muntaka’s accusation according to her has defamed other innocent Judges of the apex court who have built a reputation for themselves over the years.
This she said, “I am upset at the very thought that, that kind of accusation will be made. I don’t like accusations like that. It is like throwing a bucket of dirty water at people and you were aiming at somebody but you just threw it and it dirties everybody.”
Sophia Akufo, however, insisted that if these claims by the MP were true, he should be bold and mention the name of the Judge rather than generalize it.
“There are 17 people you have defamed in that causal manner but you are talking about only one person so there are 16 people who have been wrongly done by,” she said.
Mr Muntaka who was speaking on JoyNews’ The Probe, alleged that a very prominent judge contacted an NDC MP; offering an inducement should the person vote in favour of the New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) Speaker nominee, Prof Aaron Mike Oquaye.
Speaking exclusively with JoyNews’ Latif Idris, Madam Akuffo strongly rejected the accusation and described the claim as “bizarre”.
She also indicated that the Chief justice is looking into the matter and has written to the MP to make himself available to assist in investigation.
- Kotoko is building, so fans should be patient and support – Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu
- ‘Cannabis muffins’ given to 90 schoolchildren in South Africa
- Limited Voter Registration: EC assures all eligible voters will be registered
- Ghana’s economy not yet on a recovery path – Prof. Mensah insists
- Over 5,000 people benefit from free health screening by Lifetime Wells Vision
- We needed someone to get us goals, and Mohammed Kudus did – West Ham boss David Moyes
- Stop lecturing us, Guinea junta leader tells West
- PAC’s order to MMDAs to stop engaging our services is unfortunate and surprising – Zoomlion
- Over 350 farmers receive 53,000 tree crop seedlings in Sekyere Kumawu District
- ‘Things have deteriorated’ – E.L spotted at #OccupyJulorBiHouse protest Day 2
- Akufo-Addo was not sincere with Ghanaians in his self-assessment of fighting corruption – Domelevo
- Tunisia arrests cartoonist for drawings mocking PM
- Missing Nigerian journalist found dead in pit
- Don’t disenfranchise persons with disabilities – Ghana Federation of Disability to EC
- Man arrested for dishonestly selling land, others for ₵230k