Audio By Carbonatix
The third tranche of the International Monetary Fund's (IMF) 360 million dollar release is expected to hit Ghana’s account today, Monday, July 1, following a successful review of the country's performance by the Fund.
According to the IMF, Ghana’s performance under the programme has been generally strong.
Already, the Finance Minister and the IMF's country manager are expected to hold a joint news conference this afternoon to disclose the details of the latest development.
Read also: IMF on Ghana: We’re working to get third tranche approved by end of this month
But speaking to the media, the Finance Minister Dr Mohammed Amim Adam said he is hopeful of better days for the economy.
"After meeting the requirements for the second review following the staff level agreement, I am glad to announce that the IMF Executive Board approved Ghana's second review with an overwhelming support for Ghana.
"This is coming after an earlier approval of the first review in January 2024. This is an important positive development in our journey towards macroeconomic stability," the Minister added.
Meanwhile, the Chief Executive Officer of the Chamber of Independent Power Generators, Ghana (IPPS), Dr Elikplim Kwabla Apetorgbor, says the Independent Power Producers (IPPs) have not agreed to a haircut after six years of negotiation with the government of Ghana.
According to Dr Elikplim Kwabla Apetorgbor, the Minister of Finance, Dr Mohammed Amin Adam’s statements on the matter are misleading and inaccurate.
“The last engagement with some of the IPPs and the government of Ghana's negotiating team occurred in April [2024] and since then, no agreement on any terms have been reached.
Read also: IMF Board to approve $360m third tranche by end of June
"The posture and generalisation that the government has secured a debt restructuring agreement with the IPPs are misleading and amount to public deception”, he added.
“We urge the Minister of Finance to refrain from making such inaccurate statements and to engage in transparent and honest communications”, he pointed out.
He concluded that the IPPs remain committed to constructive dialogue and finding a mutually beneficial resolution to the ongoing discussions.
But Joy Business understands that only two IPPs, CenPower and Amandi accepted the government’s proposal to restructure the IPPs' debt.
The rest, Karpowership, Twin City Energy, Sunon Asogli, Cenit Energy and AKSA rejected the haircut proposal by the government of Ghana.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
2 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
2 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
2 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
3 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
3 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
3 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
3 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
3 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
4 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
4 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
4 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
4 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
5 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
5 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
5 hours
