There was pandemonium at Asiri, a farming community in the Jaman North District of the Bono Region, when some irate youth allegedly lynched a popular barber, in connection with the tragic murder of a motor rider in the area.
Kwabena Prince, the deceased is suspected to have murdered Alex Mensah, an 18-year-old ‘Okada’ rider on Monday January 2, on the Seketia-Asueyi road.
Prince allegedly engaged the ‘Okada’ rider to transport him to Asueyi for a fee, but allegedly murdered him on their way back, took the motorbike and fled.
Subsequently, the police at Sampa, the Jaman North District capital declared the suspect wanted and launched a manhunt for him.
Luck, however, eluded Prince, who had gone into hiding for some days, when a young man sighted him at a chop bar at Asiri, after residents shared his pictures on social media to aid police investigations.
The Ghana News Agency (GNA) gathered from residents that the young man who sighted the suspect confronted him, and sensing danger he (suspect) took to his heels, but some young people in the town chased, overpowered and arrested him.
They then handed him over to the police at Asiri.
But when information about the arrest spread in the town, a mob rushed to the police station, deflated the police vehicle tyres which intended to transport the suspect to Sampa, forcibly took him from the police, and lynched him accordingly.
The Police had since deposited the body at the Sampa Government Hospital for preservation and autopsy while investigations continued.
As at the time of filing this report, the GNA learnt calm has returned to the Asiri, after some military personnel were deployed to maintain law and order in the town.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Desist from gifting out cedi bouquets, hampers; it is illegal – BoG warns
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- Beige Bank collapse: Witness accuses Nyinaku of taking bank’s US$200,000 illegally
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display
- Police to probe death of Yul Edochie’s son
- Morocco King hailed for the Atlas Lions’ growing status
- Managers of Hillburi hotel arrested for alleged power theft
- Blatant power theft in Ghana very worrying – ECG
- Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ excites patrons
- ‘He’s clueless’ – Derek Boateng lashes out at Milovan Rajevac
- Son of murdered Mujipe chief reveals names of assailants
- Policy framework for aluminium downstream industry in the offing – CEO of GIADEC
- Trump indictment: A simple guide to what it means
- “Time for Dogboe to strap the title belt” – Patrice Harris
- Decouple NHIS proceeds from consolidated fund – Bono Regional GHS boss tells government
- Six bodies discovered in Canada marsh near US border