Audio By Carbonatix
Johnny Depp has left the Fantastic Beasts film franchise, days after losing a libel case over a newspaper article which called him a wife-beater.
In a letter to fans, Depp said he had been "asked to resign" from his role as Gellert Grindelwald and had "respected that and agreed to that request".
He called the libel judgement "surreal" and confirmed his plans to appeal.
Warner Bros confirmed Depp's departure and said the role in the third Fantastic Beasts film would be recast.
"We thank Johnny for his work on the films to date," it said in a statement.
Depp, 57, sued The Sun's publisher, News Group Newspapers (NGN), over a 2018 article which claimed he assaulted his ex-wife Amber Heard.
Actor Johnny Depp quits cast of Fantastic Beasts film franchise after losing libel case over claims he beat ex-wife Amber Heard https://t.co/cIhJgfRlX8
— BBC Breaking News (@BBCBreaking) November 6, 2020
Earlier this week Judge Mr Justice Nicol ruled The Sun had proved what was in the article to be "substantially true".
In his letter, posted on Instagram, Depp said the judgement would not "change my fight to tell the truth".
"My resolve remains strong and I intend to prove that the allegations against me are false," he wrote. "My life and career will not be defined by this moment in time."
Depp made a brief appearance as Grindelwald in 2016's Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and reprised his role in 2018's Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
The films are prequels to the eight Harry Potter films based on the novels of JK Rowling.
According to Warner Bros, the third film in the series is in production and will be released in summer 2022.
Latest Stories
-
UHAS halts semester exams over administrative, logistical issues
3 hours -
ECG announces planned maintenance outages in parts of Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Sexual harassment has no place in educational institutions – Education Ministry
3 hours -
The growing culture of vacation classes in Ghana: Should students rest or continue schoolwork?
4 hours -
E.P. Church secures radio frequency, prepares to launch Bremen Radio
5 hours -
Two dead and hundreds evacuated as twin fires break out on Greek island
5 hours -
EPCG clears over GH¢11.7m in debt as outgoing moderator calls for tighter controls on borrowing
5 hours -
Mövenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra marks 15 years of premium hospitality
5 hours -
T-bills auction: Government exceeds target by 88%, interest rates tumble
6 hours -
Western North: Confusion erupts over NPP chairmanship election results
6 hours -
Bawumia congratulates newly elected NPP regional executives
6 hours -
Bawumia urges unity after NPP regional elections ahead of 2028
6 hours -
Russia says at least seven killed in largest Ukrainian attack of 2026
6 hours -
Ghana and Netherlands sign pact to combat illicit drugs and drug markets
6 hours -
Akandoh warns Boards against interfering in day-to-day management of health institutions
7 hours