Continuing our review for the year in the world of sports, we turn our attention to the sporting heroes we unfortunately lost in year. Joy Sports pays tribute to these gallant heroes.
Sadly, former Black Stars coach Charles Kumi Gyamfi passed away at the grand age of 86.
In 1960, he became the first African to play in Germany. C.K Gyamfi also coached Ghana to three of the four African Cup titles it has won.
The former Black Stars coach was given a state burial and laid to rest in late December.
Another coaching legend who died in 2015 was Cecil Jones Attuquayefio. CLICK HERE FOR OUR STORY OF HIS PASSING & OBIT.
Attuquayefio led Hearts of Oak to win the African Champions League in 2000 and is credited for the grooming of the likes of Asamoah Gyan, Michael Essien and Kwadwo Asamoah.
Jones died aged 70 in Accra and just like CK Gyamfi was given a befitting state burial. CLICK HERE FOR OUR PHOTO STORY & ACCOUNT OF THE EVENT
Former Black Stars player, George Arthur also died in June. He played for BA United, Asante Kotoko and Al Alhy of Egypt. He was laid to rest in September.
The death of Ghanaian cyclist, Samuel Anim shook the cycling fraternity to the core. Samuel was involved in an accident in August while in Aburi training to represent Ghana ahead of the All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville.
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Daddy Lumba opens up on being bedridden for over 5 years
- Child Rights International places ¢10k bounty on head of man flogging toddler in viral video
- E-levy: GRA blames charging entities for wrongful deductions
- President’s son loses army post after Twitter spree
- Auctioning of vehicles at Tema Port to go online by end of October, 2022- GRA
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to go broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- We need a national discussion on how to make Ghana’s debt sustainable – Ato Forson
- Morocco issues first cannabis production permits
- Ukraine’s uphill battle to gain Africa’s support
- Victims of human trafficking need adequate information on the issue – Media consultant
- IMF won’t lend to Ghana if debt levels are unsustainable -Dr. Acheampong
- Black Sherif releases ‘The Villain I Never Was’
- Ghana’s debt to GDP is not properly accounted for – Ato Forson
- Scientists, policy makers to benefit from KNUST’s Building Stronger Universities project
- Nigerian oil export terminal had theft line in the sea for 9 years
- We are determined to build trustworthy and robust institutions – Chief Justice assures
- B. A. Mensah: Ghanaians are about to get a break from the fuel crisis
- Playback: PM Express discusses Ghana’s unsustainable debt levels and impact on IMF negotiations
- I will deal with government officials found complicit in galamsey activities – Akufo-Addo
- Sadiq Abdulai Abu, Bessa Simons, Spiky, others confirmed as speakers for 2022 Ghana DJ Clinic
- Nigerian singer Asa threatens Joeboy with copyright lawsuit, demands ₦300m