Audio By Carbonatix
Members of ‘Justice for Ghana’ have presented their petition to Parliament after they declined to do so at the entrance.
The Group demanded to present the petition on the forecourt of Parliament but were denied the opportunity by the Police.
Eventually, the petition was received by the two Deputy Chief Whips, Lydia Seyram Alhassan and Ibrahim Ahmed on behalf of the leadership of Parliament on the forecourt as requested by the protesters.
Speaking on Top Story, Majority Chief Whip, Frank Annoh Dompreh noted that the petition will be tabled on the floor of the House.
“It’s been received, it will be handed over to go through the process and we will take it from there,” he said.
Earlier on Wednesday, December 8, 2021, the Police prevented the group from entering into the premises of Parliament to present their petition to the leadership.
According to the Police, an injunction was secured from the High court to restrain the protesters from doing so.
“The Police are not against their demonstration because it is their right. Our concern is their intention to occupy Parliament that is the reason why we had to prepare well and then also backed by a court order restraining them from occupying the Parliament. It is their democratic right to demonstrate, it is also our democratic mandate to protect Parliament and any other strategic institution,” Accra Regional Police Commander, DCOP Iddi Seidu told JoyNews.
The action by the Police created confusion as the group refused to cooperate.
Convener of Justice for Ghana, Bernard Monarh said the act by the Police is an affront to their dignity as citizens. “We want to go to the forecourt of Parliament to present our petition. Why have you not asked the Police why they have decided to do what they are doing here? Our rights are being trampled upon, our right to meet our leadership is not granted.
We are Ghanaians, we are Africans and we deserve dignity. We did not achieve independence on a silver platter and as for e-levy independence, we will get it,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
14 minutes -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
35 minutes -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
38 minutes -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
1 hour -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
1 hour -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
2 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
2 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
2 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
2 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
4 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
4 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
4 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
4 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
4 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
4 hours