A suspect is being held at the Damongo Police station for allegedly kidnapping a peasant farmer at Meampeasem, a suburb of Damongo in the West Gonja Municipality of Savannah Region.
According to JoyNews’ sources in the community, the suspect was among a gang that chased a group of women who visited their groundnut farms on Tuesday before allegedly kidnapping one of them while others escaped.
One resident, Haruna Ayishetu when asked about what happened said, “My mother and her friends left home very early today to harvest groundnuts but we were surprised when they rushed home sweating all over and saying that some men holding guns chased them – my mother is home now but one woman did not come home”, she said.
Information gathered by JoyNews revealed that the victims, all women, went to harvest their groundnuts and were confronted by the unknown assailants who chased and kidnapped one of them.
Those who managed to escape later reported the case to the elders of the community. The elders also organised men to hunt for the suspects who were later arrested and handed over to the Police.
The Police are on a manhunt for those who managed to escape.
The incident has heightened tensions and fear among local folks in Busunu.
Meanwhile, Police in Damongo and Busunu have taken over the Mempeasem community with members of the Savannah Regional Security Council to assure the safety of the residents.
- In pictures: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- While others mocked me, Seidu Agongo offered to help – Kofi Amoabeng
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- World Bank classifies Ghana as high debt distressed country; debt to GDP to hit 104%
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- Pay compensation to affected customers – PURC orders ECG
- ‘Suck a breast within October’ – Health expert advises men
- Ukraine war: Russia warns US of direct military clash risk
- Help take partisanship out of galamsey fight – Akufo-Addo to National House of Chiefs
- Green Edition of ‘Rhythms on Da Runway 2022’ launched
- ‘I sold my mansion for me not to get broke’ – Kofi Amoabeng
- Ekow Blankson’s last video goes viral on social media
- Africa needs a plan to win World Cup – Asamoah Gyan
- Playback: Akufo-Addo meets House of Chiefs and MMDCEs over galamsey in Kumasi
- Driving Schools Association to publish list of approved institutions
- Sex for grades is corruption – Buhari
- UTAG, 3 university labour unions to strike on October 13
- Ghana wins ICAO Council Seat
- Debt restructuring conundrum and finding the right elucidation
- Kofi Kyereh picks Nigeria cameo as best individual performance
- GSE attains full membership status at World Federation of Exchanges
- Will we ever get it right?