Audio By Carbonatix
Organised Labour has reduced its base pay demand from 60% to 58%.
This happened after their last meeting with the government on Tuesday, December 13. However, the meeting ended inconclusively with both parties failing to come to an agreement.
Deputy General Secretary of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Joshua Ansah, who spoke to JoyNews after the meeting said they will insist that whatever is agreed will not be below the minimum wage.
“Our proposal is in about four-folds. Our proposal says that base pay should not be less than the minimum wage. As we speak now, base pay is less than the minimum wage. So we are asking government to bring base pay to the minimum wage level which gives us about 33.3%.
“Again, there is an agreement that base pay should be 10% higher than the minimum wage, and when that is done it will bring it a little bit higher than the minimum wage. When you add that percentage difference to the 33.3 % it gives you about 44.1%. And when you put all these demands together, you are up there,” he said.
He further clarified that the leaders of the Union do not want their members to enter next year with their old salary since the agreement on the Cost of Living Allowances (COLA) will end this December.
Organised labour for a while now, has been negotiating with the government for its base pay for next year.
About four meetings with the government have all ended inconclusively with the Union refusing to accept the government’s proposal of an 18% increase in their base pay.
Prior to the current 58%, Organised Labour previously revised its demand for an increase in the base pay to 65% from 60%.
This new percentage was proposed on Wednesday, November 30 when they met the government for the fourth time since negotiations started.
According to them, the new figure was arrived at because of the tax rate increases announced in the 2023 budget.
Meanwhile, negotiations have been postponed to December 19, 2022.
Latest Stories
-
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
3 minutes -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
12 minutes -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
22 minutes -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
32 minutes -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
42 minutes -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
51 minutes -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
1 hour -
UK agrees ÂŁ3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
1 hour -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
1 hour -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
3 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
3 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
4 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
4 hours -
US charges Cuba’s RaĂşl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
4 hours