Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister for Works, Housing and Water Resources, Kenneth Gilbert Adjei, has attributed delays in the resettlement of communities displaced by the Akosombo Dam spillage to land ownership disputes, legal constraints and difficult terrain.
Speaking to journalists on Wednesday, January 28, during the Government Accountability Series, Mr Adjei acknowledged that although construction of replacement housing has commenced, progress varies significantly across affected areas.
He disclosed that the Ministry, working with 19 Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies, has so far validated 2,225 housing units for reconstruction for flood victims across four regions.
According to the Minister, Phase One of the resettlement programme involves 1,010 housing units located within three Critical Impact Zones — North Tongu, Central Tongu and South Tongu — all in the Volta Region.
Mr Adjei explained that contractors have been mobilised at eight sites across the three districts, with construction activities at various stages.
He noted that communities such as Agbetikpo-Ganyakope and Battor Aveyime have recorded steady progress despite logistical constraints and challenges related to land acquisition, while work in other locations has stalled.
“Construction at Mepe and Nglorlekpoe has stalled due to unresolved land ownership issues, legal disputes and unfavourable terrain,” the Minister said.
He added that most of the housing projects remain at the substructure level, with the pace of work largely dependent on site accessibility and the performance of contractors engaged on the programme.
Latest Stories
-
Dual nationals face scramble for UK passports as new rules come into force
5 hours -
Police assessing Stansted Airport private flights over Epstein ties
6 hours -
Nine arrested in France over death of far-right student
6 hours -
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
6 hours -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
6 hours -
Mahama opens maiden Tree Crop Investment Summit, pushes value addition and jobs
6 hours -
Police recover five assault rifles after Bono shootout, one suspect killed
6 hours -
Nana B slams Special Prosecutor over presidential primaries investigations
7 hours -
The ‘Ghana Must Go’ bag of integrity: 3 police officers return GH₵85k
7 hours -
Ghana must help Burkina Faso tackle terror threat – Expert says
7 hours -
Police return GH¢85,000 found on Techiman–Kumasi highway to owner
7 hours -
NSA assures service personnel of prompt payment of outstanding allowances
7 hours -
The Wahala Playbook: A quintessential guide to burying national scandals with internet gossip
7 hours -
Burkina Faso attack: Travel advisory insufficient, urgent security measures needed – Samuel Jinapor
7 hours -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Decision-Making Speed and Quality.
8 hours
