The Nsawam District Police Command has arrested two suspects following the death of a man who was beaten to death after he was accused of stealing a pregnant goat.
Speaking to JoyNews, the police said that the suspects, Nana Odiasempa Nii Ade Quaye and his driver 50-year-old W.O 1 rtd. Adjona Henry, were arrested on April 5, for their involvement in the murder of the deceased.
The PRO of the Eastern Region Police, Sgt. Francis Gomado said they received information on Friday, April 2, regarding the death of the man popularly known in the area as Abombi.
However, a day after the police retrieved the body, they received intel that the deceased did not die a natural death, prompting them to look into the passing of Abombi.
Sgt. Gomado told JoyNews’ Maxwell Kudekor that initial investigations revealed that the deceased was arrested with a pregnant goat suspected to have been stolen, at Ayigbe Town, Nsawam by some unknown persons on April 1.
He was then sent to the suspect Nana Odiasempa Nii Ade Quaye’s palace at Ayigbe town in Nsawam, who also happens to be the owner of the goat.
It is reported that the deceased, on arrival at the palace, was subjected to severe beatings by the driver Adjona Henry.
Sgt. Gomado added that the deceased is suspected to have become unconscious during the beating, which included the stamping of his neck and chest. Rather than letting him go, the suspects kept the deceased in the palace for the rest of the day.
“He (the deceased) was found dead the following day at the railway crossing at Nsawam. His body has since been sent to police hospital for preservation awaiting autopsy.”
The two suspects are currently in police custody and assisting the police with investigations.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- Substantial elements of Anti-LGBTQ bill have been modified – Akufo-Addo
- Debt servicing relief: China pledges to support Ghana
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- U.S government to send resident advisor to help Ghana attain debt sustainability
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Build partnerships to increase digital inclusion – Kamala Harris
- Majority MPs wear black as Parliament mourns late Philip Basoah
- Together we will address the challenges we face – Kamala Harris on partnership with Africa
- Falling oil price only explanation for low fuel prices
- Policy rate increase will exacerbate challenges confronting businesses, hamper growth and employment – GNCCI
- You don’t need money to make money; you need mindset – Oscar Bimpong
- Banks record significant losses due to DDEP – BoG
- US is committed to strengthening relationship with Africa – Kamala Harris
- Bond market: Trading activity in government bonds slumps by 15.5
- Let’s continue to invest in good governance, democracy – Kamala Harris
- T-bills auction: Government to borrow ¢1.34bn this week
- We’ll fish out our MPs who approved Akufo-Addo’s ministers – Joseph Yamin
- Cedi starts week on strong note; $1 now ¢12.25
- Women must be given more leadership roles – Kamala Harris
- Comprehensive gender policy needed to fight gender-based violence – EGDC boss