A 22-year-old man has been sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by the Kyebi Circuit Court for attempting to rob a student of her iPhone at Akyem Kukurantumi in the Eastern Region.
Charles Appiah was convicted on his plea when he appeared before the court.
The facts of the case are that, on February 5, 2022, at about 9:50 pm, the complainant, Solomon Boateng, 48, and his 17-year-old daughter, Dorcas Boateng with the help of some residents lodged a formal complaint at the Kukurantumi police station over an attempted robbery.
According to him, at about 9:30 pm on that day, his daughter who is a final-year student of Only Believe S.H.S in Kukurantumi went out from her hostel to buy water from a drinking spot behind the hostel.
On her way, the convict attacked her by spraying a pepper substance into her eyes and struggled to snatch from her an iPhone 7plus valued GH¢1,800.00.
He narrated that, during the struggle, the victim screamed for help after the convict bit her hand.
According to him some residents who heard the shouts rushed to the scene and arrested him.
They handed him over to the complainant who sent him to Kukurantumi Police station.
After investigations, police charged him with the offense of attempting to commit Robbery, contrary to sections 18(1) and 149 of Act 29/60.
The convict, Charles Appiah was put before the Kibi Circuit court where he pleaded guilty to the offence.
The court convicted him on his own plea on February, 10.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP
- Prices of hair extensions up as festive season nears
- Government has not demonstrated ‘we are in this together’ anthem – Titus Beyuo