Hundreds of fans from Accra and its environs on Saturday witnessed the biggest arm-wrestling for children in the history of the region.
The Accra edition of the HD+ Kids Armwrestling Championship which was hugely successful saw a fusion of entertainment and sports and recorded a high turnout.
Over 500 kids between the ages of 12 and 16 years from schools, communities and arm-wrestling clubs stormed the venue to have a feel of what turned out to be a funfair filled with friendly competition, excitement, and socialization for the kids.
The day officially commenced with thrilling performances from young performers like Righteous, Stone Girl, Chelsea among others.
The technical team from the Ghana Armwrestling Federation had a herculean task of pairing the participants due to the massive turnout but managed to get the competition started.
The boy’s division was categorised into three, namely lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight while the girls had lightweight and heavyweight.
After hours of battling for supremacy, the budding arm wrestlers exhibited great talents and potential which got the audience up on their feet to cheer their favourite athletes on.
In the lightweight division for the boys, Bright Dugan Junior finished third with Ishmael Ampah placing second while Elba Quaye won the lightweight category. Desmon Mensah placed third in the middleweight category while Issak Abdul Rahman finished second with Mohammed Amin Masawudu winning the first position.
In the heavyweight division, Michael Affum was crowned champion followed by Kweku Asante Kissi Baah Amoah with Bernard Adongo placing third.
In the girls’ lightweight division, Elizabeth Dawid finished third while Roselyn Lartey came second with Emmanuella Laryea placing first. In the heavyweight division, Selina Abubakar placed third while Rachael Larkyne finished second with Blessed Naa Abeka Nunoo attaining the bragging rights.
All the winners from first to third in both the boys and girls from the various categories took home cash prizes, HD+ decoders and goody bags. Every competitor received a certificate of participation and a goody bag.
President of the Ghana Armwrestling Federation, Mr Charles Osei Asibey, expressed his excitement over the turnout.
He said, “we exceeded our target and I am very grateful to the parents, schools, and clubs that allowed their kids to be part of this journey.”
Mr Asibey added that the technical team had identified some potentials and would groom them to become national assets.
Head of Marketing at SES HD Ghana, Mrs Adelaide Williams-Abbiw, also thanked the organisers for putting up a good show.
“This was a good one, as a corporate body, we are delighted to see the smiles and enthusiasm displayed by the kids and we assure GAF of a continuous support especially as GAF intends to replicate the Accra success in Takoradi and Kumasi,” she said.
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Concerned UG Students embark on ‘Ya Br3 Mo’ Demo
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Diana Hamilton settles bills of patients at KATH
- 3 die in motorbike accident at Yaw Bronya, Ashanti Region
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Playback: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand