By winning the World Cup on Sunday, many fans believe Lionel Messi has settled the GOAT debate between him and Cristiano Ronaldo.
And on the social media front, the 35-year-old has outdone his rival – who has more than 500 million followers – with his latest Instagram post, too.
Soon after becoming a world champion, Messi shared an image of him holding the World Cup trophy during Argentina’s celebrations.
“CHAMPIONS OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!,” he posted. “So many times I dreamed it, so much I wanted it that I still don’t fall, I can’t believe it…… Thank you so much to my family, to all who support me and also to all who believed in us.
“We prove once again that Argentinians when we fight together and united we are able to achieve what we aim.
“The merit is of this group, which is above individuals, is the strength of all fighting for the same dream that was also the one of all Argentinians… We did it!!! LET’S GO ARGENTINA DAMN!!!!!We’re seeing each other very soon.”
The picture, as of Tuesday morning, has received more than 55 million likes on Instagram, which is now the most for a sportsperson on the site.
It has surpassed Ronaldo’s post of the duo sitting together at a chessboard for a collaboration with Louis Vuitton ahead of the World Cup, which stands at almost 42 million likes.
However, Messi’s is still not Instagram’s most successful ever post.
World record egg currently holds the title with 56 million likes, but Messi could find himself topping the charts very soon.
Messi played a captain’s role in Argentina’s win over France on Sunday, the South Americans’ third World Cup title and first in 36 years.
Messi scored twice, while Kylian Mbappe netted a hat-trick as the two sides drew 3-3 in extra time to send it to penalties.
Argentina would go on to score all four of their spot-kicks, stealing the crown from the reigning champions, who missed two of theirs.
Messi posted another Instagram picture with him holding the World Cup on Monday afternoon as he travelled back to Argentina on a plane with the Jules Rimet trophy.
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group
- Concerned UG Students embark on ‘Ya Br3 Mo’ Demo
- We are not concerned about tradability of our bonds – Martin Kpebu replies Finance Ministry
- Government’s arrogant posturing to blame for challenges with implementation of DDEP – Alhassan Suhuyini
- My account on Bawku killings based on eye witness report – Ayariga
- Bawku killings: Families of deceased must be duly compensated – Ayariga
- US FDA says India-made eye drop linked to some infections, blindness and one death
- Murder case involving Ghanaian resident in Canada adjourned to February 16
- Court quashes suspension of Kuapa Kokoo President after months of litigation
- I don’t want the President’s hand in investigating Bawku killings – Ayariga
- The Catholic pilgrims who walked 9 days to see Pope Francis
- Ghana Gas signs US$700m deal for second gas processing plant
- Treasure Kids Newspaper relaunched to encourage reading
- Stonebwoy releases brand new single “More Of You”
- Playback: Newsfile discusses revised DDE, CPI 2022 report and CSSPS expose
- More than 40 killed in Nigeria as gunmen and vigilantes clash
- Diana Hamilton settles bills of patients at KATH