Audio By Carbonatix
The Minority in Parliament is calling on President John Mahama to intervene and halt the ongoing Telecel takeover of AT (formerly AirtelTigo), describing the process as secretive, inconsistent, and damaging to Ghana’s national interest.
Addressing the media in Accra on Wednesday, October 15, the caucus said the Minister of Communications and Digitalisation, Samuel George, has been “hastily trying to dispose of” a vital state asset without due process, transparency, or parliamentary oversight.
“We ask President John Dramani Mahama to rein in his Minister for Communication to focus on making AT work rather than hastily trying to dispose of it. A comprehensive and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the proposed acquisition of AT by Telecel is imperative.”
The group accused the Minister of presiding over what they called a “worse process” than those he once criticised, claiming that the transaction is taking place behind closed doors and without proper consultation.
“It’s troubling that Hon. Samuel George, who was once an outspoken critic of his predecessor for how state assets were handled, is now presiding over a worse process that appears to be taking place without scrutiny,” they said.
The Minority also raised concerns about recent activities by Telecel Group’s CEO, Moh Damush, who they said has been in Ghana “making concerted efforts to finalise what many view as a questionable deal.” They alleged that Telecel has been partnering with the government on public donation initiatives aimed at gaining political goodwill ahead of the takeover.
“Telecel just last week collaborated with the Ministry of Health to support the Ghana Medical Trust Fund, through which they donated cervical cancer screening equipment to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital,” the group revealed. “Similar donation ceremonies are scheduled to take place in Tamale and at the Sefwi Wiawso Government Hospital.”
In a strongly worded caution, the Minority warned Telecel that any attempt to acquire AT through “unlawful, non-transparent, or irregular means” would be illegitimate and could face reversal under a future government.
“Any deal shrouded in secrecy, executed without parliamentary scrutiny, or in violation of procurement and regulatory standards will be subject to review and possible legal action,” they said. “Telecel should be prepared for reputational damage and potential nullification of any agreement entered under such circumstances.”
The caucus stressed that the fight over AT’s future is not merely about the sale of a company but about protecting a strategic national institution that serves as a cornerstone of Ghana’s digital infrastructure.
“This is not merely about the sale of a company; it is about protecting a national institution that has served Ghana diligently,” they said. “AT must remain in Ghanaian hands and continue to serve as a cornerstone for our digital and economic future.”
The Minority concluded by calling for an immediate suspension of the ongoing merger talks and a full parliamentary inquiry into the deal. They also demanded full disclosure of all agreements, reports, and correspondence related to the Rektron/Afritel and Telecel negotiations, and an urgent review of AT’s financial obligations to the American Tower Company (ATC).
“We will not sit idly by and allow a single minister to unilaterally dispose of a critical national asset such as AT. The strategic importance of this company to our digital sovereignty and economic development cannot be overstated.”
Latest Stories
-
CDD flags violence, governance gaps and legal loopholes in assessment of one-year of Mahama administration
2 minutes -
CDD warns of ‘backdoor’ criminal libel; slow pace on key accountability reforms
3 minutes -
The Myth of Benevolence: Deconstructing the benefits of colonialism in Ghana
6 minutes -
NAM 1 tells court BoG guided Menzgold operations
12 minutes -
CDD raises red flag over GH₵20,000 gift threshold in ministers’ code
19 minutes -
Deputy CEO of EPA rides to work, sparks debate on safety and clean transport
20 minutes -
NSA and UNFPA unveil work readiness programme to train 150,000 graduates annually
38 minutes -
Security expert urges Mahama to appoint Zanetor Agyeman-Rawlings as Defence Minister
44 minutes -
Majority, Minority clash over bill to revert NIB name to BNI and overhaul national security structure
45 minutes -
NDPC stresses compliance, visible development outcomes in Eastern Region engagement
46 minutes -
‘Legislation alone does not fund sports’ – Kofi Adams
50 minutes -
Article 146 now the most confusing provision in the Constitution—Kamal-Deen Abdulai
51 minutes -
NDPC promises intensified action on consolidated long term development plan for sustainable growth
1 hour -
Sports Minister pledges two months’ salary to Ghana Sports Fund
1 hour -
Rockson Dafeamekpor donates three months salary to Ghana Sports Fund
1 hour
