Audio By Carbonatix
The District Chief Executive for Ellembelle, Kwasi Bonzo has decried the intrusion by the Member of Parliament (MP) for Ellembelle in his bid to fight illegal mining in the District.
In an interview on Joy FM's Top Story on Thursday, he said the NDC MP in his fourth term – Mr. Armah Kofi Buah assisted in the release of some illegal miners arrested and fined.
“Recently on 1st April 2022, some 33 'galamseyers' were arrested. They were arraigned and fined GHC 2,000 each… this was on a Friday, you cannot imagine that by Monday, the Member of Parliament had arranged for those sentences to be quashed for all those people to be set free,” he said.
He also claimed that Mr. Buah “filed a writ against a big mining company on whose concession illegal miners had been transacting illegal activities.”
According to him, the activities of some of the MPs are a "double edge sword for the government" in the 'galamsey' fight.
Mr. Bonzo's remarks follow comments by the NDC's National Communication Officer, Sammy Gyamfi, that the he (DCE) is supervising illegal mining in the Ellembelle District and that they have evidence to that effect.
However, in response to this allegation, Mr. Bonzo called Mr. Gyamfi's bluff, "the NDC cannot have evidence in this matter," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours