An interest group, Public Interest Advocate (PIA) wants government to cancel its flagship programme, the Nation Builders Corps (NABCo) immediately.
Leader of the group, Frank Aboagye Danyansah noted that the resources for that initiative should be channelled into permanent jobs for the youth.
The Real Estate Developer said the NABCo jobs are unsustainable.
He said government is currently spending ¢2.5 billion in three years on the programme, an amount he believes could set-up factories under the One District One Factory initiative in all the regions.
“The factories can employ about 5,000 youth in every region,” he noted.
NABCO is one of government’s flagship programmes which has employed about 100 thousand people.
He appealed to the beneficiaries to push government to create permanent jobs for sustainable livelihood.
“Stop gaps are not sustainable. To give ¢700 to the youth whiles they pay nothing on it is a freebie. NABCO hasn’t been a sustainable venture. NABCO must be cancelled immediately because it has no future,” he observed.
“When the three years is up, what will the youth do afterwards?” he quizzed.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife
- AngloGold incident: 52 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- NDC stands a little chance above NPP in Assin North by-election – Dr Asah-Asante
- Ghana enters Phase II of nuclear power infrastructure development
- ‘Potholemics’: The economics of potholes