Ghana’s security services are under pressure for full disclosure as the arrest of the country’s most wanted man raises more questions than answers.
According to reports, Nana Appiah Mensah declared wanted by Ghanaian security authorities for defrauding by false pretence had already been arrested more than a month ago in the United Arab Emirates.
Despite satisfying bail conditions, the businessman could not be traced in Ghana and search for him was publicly announced last week. The self-recognizance bail did not come with the expected seizure of his passport.
Photo: Gabby Asare Otchere–Darko [right] , an insider in government was the first to tip the public about NAM1’s arrest.
It was completely unknown publicly that NAM1, as he is popularly called, had been arrested. His escape was as surprising as his arrest.
The CID denied arresting him and pointed to the BNI. The public has been told he was arrested after an official complaint had been made.
The nature of the complaint and the identity of the complainant is not known publicly.
While the CID has said there was a complainant, the deputy Attorney-General Joseph Kpenkah has said there was no such complainant.
But in November after reading the budget, the Finance minister said on Peace FM, NAM1 will be “grabbed”. There has been no details on when Ghana’s security agencies arrested NAM1.
Photo: Finance minister Ken Ofori-Atta [Left]
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Petrol, diesel prices to go down by 10% – IES
- That is not my style – Ashanti Regional NSS boss apologises for insulting nurses
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- NSS summons Ashanti Region boss for investigation
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- ‘You’ll see, more is coming from my boy’ – Andre Ayew on Kudus’ future
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- Royal Choice Academy wins Jan Binder green and sanitation contest for basic schools
- Wenchi High Court throws out petition against NPP MP’s 2020 election victory
- Ghana will go down the drain should 2023 budget be delayed – Deputy Finance Minister warns
- Peace Council moves to address allegations of ethnic identity-based discrimination, marginalization by Ewes
- Is it unrealistic to expect that my spouse’s life revolves around me?
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Pork prices up by 40% in three months
- 2022 World Cup: Ghana will not be seeking revenge against Uruguay – Otto Addo
- Increasing VAT rate was a lazy approach to burden faithful few – Bokpin
- ACCE charges new inductees to exude professionalism
- Afrobarometer receives major boost with 6m grant from Sweden
- Cement Producers bewail fall in demand due to high cost of production
- EOCO recovers over ¢27m crime monies in 10 months
- Throw in the towel; I’ll win this election hands down – Ofosu Ampofo tells Asiedu Nketia