Audio By Carbonatix
Barely twelve hours to the September 30th deadline for the re-registration of SIM cards, Ningo-Prampram MP, Sam George has alleged that the National Identification Authority (NIA) offered preferential treatment in issuing Ghana Cards to some nine Ghanaian citizens after they filed a writ against the Authority.
Sam George disclosed this in an interview on Top Story on Thursday.
According to the Deputy Ranking Member on the Communications Committee in Parliament, the NIA decided to call these persons to come for their cards because they filed a writ in court over the matter.
The MP said these Ghanaians registered for the card in 2018 and over two years have been struggling to receive their cards.
But the MP noted that the Authority after the writ had been filed, “begged” these persons to come for their cards and were met with “VIP” treatment.
“Evans, we filed a suit on Monday with nine Ghanaian citizens some who had registered for the Ghana Cards since 2018 but have not received the Ghana Card…Within 48 hours they were called by the NIA, and begged to come for their cards.
“They got to the NIA office, they were given VIP treatment, there was an NIA officer waiting to meet them at the entrance, walked them straight into an air-conditioned room, offered them water and then gave them their Ghana Cards. These are people who for two and a half years had been chasing the NIA, had been tossed left and right, some of them came from outside Accra and had to go to El-wak and Shiashie with no success,” he narrated.
Sam George emphasised that despite the preferential treatment meted out to these people, the case will proceed in court.
This, he said is because the said persons were affected by the two days' blockage of SIM cards by the telecommunications companies.
Latest Stories
-
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
11 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
17 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
18 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
1 hour -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
3 hours