The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has debunked claims of monkeypox detection in the country.
According to the Service, reports of such a condition purported to have been sighted in the Western Region must be disregarded.
This follows a viral social media post alleging that the country had recorded its first case.
There are now about 237 confirmed and suspected cases of monkeypox worldwide.
The UN Health agency have announced plans to contain the virus.
Symptoms can be very similar to those experienced by smallpox patients, although they are less clinically severe, albeit visually dramatic, with raised pustules and fever in the most severe cases that can last from two to four weeks.
Some of these symptoms were physically seen in the image that accompanied the social media post which many feared could be Ghana’s patient zero.
But the GHS in a statement on Wednesday explained that “an individual reported to a facility in the Ahanta West Municipality in the Western Region with blisters.”
However, “initial assessment of case is not suggestive of monkeypox.”
The statement signed by Western Regional Director of Heath Services, Dr Yaw Ofori Yeboah, indicated that more probes are being conducted.
On the back of this, the GHS says it is on high alert and will provide updates to the public about further developments.
- Exclusive: Lighthouse pastor in Madagascar speaks out on Larry Odonkor’s car sale saga
- I criticised Mahama and slept soundly – Prof Aning
- Swearing in of newly-elected GJA president blocked as journalist files injunction
- UDS graduate ventures into mobile car washing business after years of job dissatisfaction
- Shatta Wale fined ¢2k after pleading guilty to publication of false news
- Barker-Vormawor trial: Court orders AG to provide security report on alleged treasonable activities
- I slept at the cemetery because it was peaceful and comfortable – Founder of Cultivating Minds Foundation
- Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
- ¢5m payment to NDA contravenes PPA approval in alleged signature forgery in ¢10m case
- Chadwick Boseman died without a will. Now his wife and parents will share his estate
Arise Ghana Demo: 2 officers undergo surgery, 15 others receive treatment
Growing mob and violent mentality amongst youth worrying – Criminologist
Arise Ghana protestors granted bail
Pay cost of living allowances or face our wrath – GNAT tells government
Caught in Conflict: Procurement Specialist joins calls for probe into allegations
2022 CAF Awards: Ghana’s Kamaldeen Sulemana nominated for Young Player of the Year
Photos from one-sixteenth stage of Luv FM High School Debate
New GJA executives sworn into office
Dismissed PPA CEO explains the millions in his bank accounts
Man arrested for slapping MP at church in Uganda
Chinese builders unveil Zimbabwe’s new parliament
Joy FM’s Animwaa Anim-Addo ties the knot
Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
Black Galaxies coach Annor Walker targets CHAN trophy
Asante Kotoko in talks with Fabio Gama over contract extension