Audio By Carbonatix
The Northern Development Forum (NDF) has questioned government why the Pwalugu Multipurpose Dam Project (PMD) has been abandoned after the sod was cut for its construction three years ago.
The NGO said even though government has described the dam as a significant infrastructure and the single largest investment project ever built by any government in the Northern sector, the project site is overgrown with weeds.
Addressing a press conference in Tamale on Tuesday, November 29, the Chairman of the NDF, Major Retired Albert Don-Chebe also asked why government cannot secure funding sources for the construction of the dam just like the National Cathedral, new Suame interchange projects and other projects in the country.

He alleged that the contractor has abandoned the project because he has been deployed to a new government project.
“What conclusions are citizens of Northern Ghana to draw in the light of this unequal, unfair and inequitable treatment in the distribution and funding of a critical, life-changing and transformational infrastructural investment in Northern Ghana?,” the group asked.
Major Rtd A. Don-Chebe said the North was promised a completed transformational project in 50 months, yet 36 months have passed with nothing to show.
He said the NDF recognises this project as the missing link in the unpleasant story of underdevelopment in Northern Ghana and has lobbied since 2007 for its construction.
”NDF has acknowledged 29th November 2019 as the ‘second’ independence day of Northern Ghana, because this was the day our dream started becoming reality; it is therefore very shocking for us to hear that the PMD has been abandoned,” he said.

The Chairman of NDF said following the contradictory statements from various government appointees, his outfit decided to visit the two major project sites at Kurugu and Sariba only to see a ghost town.
“At Kurugu, we were confronted by utter desolation and loud silence. There was only a heap of chippings to indicate that someone had intended to undertake some form of construction.
“We proceeded to the irrigation development site, off the Wulugu-Kpasenkpe road, there, we found a well-built work camp, with comfortable dormitories, workshops and dining facilities, large enough to accommodate over 300 workers and large piles of concrete blocks. We found only one worker on site, and no equipment or machinery,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
3 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours