Audio By Carbonatix
The National Election Committee of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), has warned national executive aspirants to desist from making the media their first point of call in case of any grievances during the upcoming National Delegates Conference.
Communicating the directive, the Chairman of the Committee, Peter Mac Manu explained that the party has created a mechanism to deal with any issues which may arise.
According to him, based on this internal arrangement, any aspirant who speaks to the press without resorting to the National Election Committee will be dealt with.
"Any aspirant who fails to channel their grievances through these means but rather resorts to denigrating and casting aspersions at the party or any individual involved in the process within the media space will face disciplinary action", Mr Mac Manu said.
Speaking at a press conference at the party's head quarters on Wednesday, he said, "aspirants are further cautioned to refrain from bastardising the election process and the systems that have been put in place to ensure a fair and transparent election".
He continued: "Any aspirant with concerns should contact the National Election Committee through the Director of Elections, who is our Secretary, with the complaint which shall be acted upon expeditiously in the interest of fairness and justice".
The warning by Mr Manu adds to the raft of measures by the party to forestall any challenges that may mar the process, scheduled for July 16, 2022.
In this regard, the party's election management body has also advised aspirants to desist from mounting billboards during the Conference; adding that aspirants who engage in bribery and vote-buying will accordingly be sanctioned.
Meanwhile, aspirants who have been cleared to contest in the party's national elections on July 16, are busily embarking on field campaigns and media engagements to convince electorates.
From the mounting of imposing billboards to the hoisting of colourful banners, the qualified aspirants are bent on forming the next crop of executives to lead the party into the 2024 polls.
But amidst the euphoria, a National Chairman aspirant, Nii Ayikoi Otoo, has withdrawn from the contest.
The former High Commissioner and Attorney-General had earlier pledged to respond to the needs of party faithfuls, if he won the race.
But speaking ahead of the Conference, Mr Peter Mac Manu announced that Mr Otoo has withdrawn his candidature.
According to Mr. Mac Manu, the former A-G made this known in a letter on Monday, July 4, 2022.
“Three prospective aspirants for the positions of National Organizer, National Women’s Organizer and National Youth Organizer; Dr. Kwame Afriyie, Akosua Serwaa Bonsu and Tumfuo Klinsman Karikari Mensah respectively have also rescinded their decisions to contest.
As a result of the diligence of the National Election Committee, no appeals against the nominations of any prospective aspirants were recorded by the National Appeals Committee.
Ayiko Otoo who was vying for the position of National Chairman of the party has, however, since withdrawn from the race", he said on Wednesday.
Latest Stories
-
Mining sector delivers over GH₵2bn in royalties for quarter one 2026 – MIIF
3 minutes -
Tamale Central MP begins borehole project to tackle water crisis
6 minutes -
Ashanti health authorities raise alarm over hypertension threat
8 minutes -
The Law Institute rebrands as Ghana’s hub for legal and compliance training
8 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama delivers keynote address at 79th World Health Assembly
9 minutes -
AMA denies forceful eviction claims over Makola market redevelopment
9 minutes -
AFCON 2027Q: Black Stars drawn in Group C, face Cote d’Ivoire, Gambia and Somalia
12 minutes -
VRA Academy targets engineering skills gap through ECREE Regional Training programme
15 minutes -
Africa poised to lead in global digital finance evolution – MTN Group CEO
22 minutes -
Abesim youth to demonstrate against galamsey activities in Tano River
25 minutes -
Free Zones CEO Mary Awusi faces CHRAJ petition over alleged misconduct
51 minutes -
Black Stars legends to headline KN Foundation charity outreach for Nsawam Prison inmates
55 minutes -
2026 World Cup: We want to show we are a top nation – Semenyo
56 minutes -
GTA CEO Maame Efua Houadjeto enstooled as Safohen of Bentsir No. 1 Asafo Company
60 minutes -
The silent exodus: Why quiet quitting is the new survival strategy in Ghana’s classrooms
1 hour