PRESEC Legon has attained a new feat and extended their record to seven trophies in the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ).
They also stopped Prempeh College from smashing their back-to-back record. “We’re ‘seven’ a living God,” they chanted.
Here are five facts from the championship:
- Only PRESEC has completed a back-to-back win
The 2021 champions, Prempeh College were looking to successfully defend the title but their dreams were dashed in the dying moments of the grand finale after PRESEC Legon picked up three of four riddles to win the tie and the competition.
Thus, PRESEC’s record remains intact. They won the 2008 competition and successfully defended the title in 2009.
Since then, no school has successfully defended the NSMQ trophy.
- PRESEC are the most successful school in the 29-year history of the competition
As previously stated, PRESEC has won a record seventh title. Prempeh College trails with five titles.
PRESEC were champions in 1995, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2020 and are the 2022 champions.
- No Girls’ School has been seeded
All the girls’ schools were eliminated at the one-eighth stage of the 2022 competition.
This prevented any of them from earning a seeded spot for the 2023 competition.
Wesley Girls SHS from Cape Coast who had hitherto been the torch bearer for girls’ schools in the competition suffered defeat at the hands of Mawuli School from Ho.
- No girls’ school has won the trophy
It is not the first year that the girls’ school had a poor run in the competition. None of them has ever won the competition.
Only Wesley Girls SHS came close in 1999 when they made it to the final. They however lost to Mfantsipim School.
- Only 11 schools have won the trophy in the 29-year history of the competition
Only 11 schools have won the competition since its inception in 1994.
PRESEC stopped St James Seminary SHS in the semifinal after the latter looked like they would become the twelfth school to win it.
For now, the number remains eleven.
The schools are PRESEC, Prempeh College, Adisadel College, Opoku Ware School, St Augustine’s College, Mfantsipim School, St Thomas Aquinas, Achimota School, St Peter’s School, Pope John SHS and Ghana Secondary Technical School.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group