Audio By Carbonatix
The National Service Scheme (NSS) has revealed that applicants for national service will no longer have to go through laborious processes.
This is because the NSS will be using an electronic platform that will make it easy for school heads to apply for all their qualified applicants by the click of a button.
At a tertiary education stakeholder conference in Accra, one of the designers of the e-platform, Samuel Korley, mentioned that the new App will among others, reduce delays in processing, as well as eliminate unqualified applicants.
"Class list was submitted using USBs. Imagine if you had to submit two or three class lists, that means you have to send two or three USBs to NSS. Currently, we are just creating a platform and all the schools will go onto the platform and directly upload the list of their students and NSS will go through the approval workflow and approve it instantaneously.
Within five minutes, the school can submit the list and the personnel can be able to have their pin code generated and ready to complete the registration process. A process that will normally take days to complete now can be completed within minutes," he told JoyNews.
The infusion of digital technology in the operations of the National Service Scheme has saved Ghana at least GH¢112million in blocked payments to undeserving persons, Executive Director, Osei Assibey Antwi has disclosed.
Making the disclosure during an unannounced visit by the Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, on Monday, January 31, Mr Assibey Antwi said the introduction of the Metric App, which combines facial recognition technology and Identity Card checks for verification and validation and has so far blocked the enrolment of 14,027 potential fraudsters onto the Scheme.
“We had them on lists as potential Service Personnel but they ran away and couldn’t register because the system raised red flags and weeded them out, so they couldn’t register. Without this use of technology we would have paid GH¢94million, and if they had gone to the private sector, GH¢112million.
All of that money would have gone down the drain to ‘ghosts’. Digitalization of our operations, started by my predecessor and continued since I came into office, has indeed saved Ghana a lot of money,” he emphasized.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
24 minutes -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
2 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
2 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
2 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
3 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
3 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
3 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
3 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
3 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
3 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
3 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
5 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
6 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
6 hours