Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwives Association (GRNMA) has called off its strike action which started on Monday.
Addressing the media, the president of the Association, Perpetual Ofori Ampofo disclosed that their decision follows a court order by the National Labour Commission (NLC).
"As we all know, members of the Ghana Registered Nurses and Midwifery Association laid down our working tools because we were not happy with how our employers were dealing with us.
"But we have decided to go back to work following an injunction secured by the National Labour Commission and our love for the country," President of the Association said.
The decision by GRNMA to embark on the strike followed failure of the government to address certain demands listed by the group.
Among other things, the Association had asked for allowances for rent, uniform, transport and professional development, with the argument that it will help address pertinent needs and improve the lives of the nurses, as well as service delivery at work.
Although there had been numerous meetings between executives of the association, the Health Ministry and other stakeholders, the issue had remained unresolved leading to the first phase of their threat on Monday.
Subsequently, the National Labour Commision secured an interlocutory injunction to compel them to call off the strike which had already resulted in the death of one person and several patients being turned away.
Following the new injunction, the nurses have assured that they will call off the strike effective September 24 and resume work.
Meanwhile, negotiations are expected to resume between the leadership of GRNMA and government and the National Labour Commission.
"If we are not happy with the outcome of the meetings, we will resume our strike," the President of the group further stated.
Latest Stories
-
The paradox of plenty: How Ghana’s farmers are being sacrificed on the altar of a cheap import agenda
2 minutes -
Defence Ministry in ‘safe hands’ despite vacancy – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
4 minutes -
Why no Defence Minister yet? – Felix Kwakye Ofosu says Mahama sees no urgency
25 minutes -
Sam George petitions AG to probe $3.4m payment for CSA building project
38 minutes -
The Abronye Charge Sheet – misuse in plain sight
51 minutes -
Carvajal to leave Real Madrid after 23 years
51 minutes -
‘No bad blood’: Sam George downplays heated clash with Abena Osei-Asare
1 hour -
Damang Gold Mine sells another 100% of its gold output to GoldBod
1 hour -
Adansi Asokwa MP launches skills training programme for youth
1 hour -
EPA shuts down mining site allegedly linked to former Mpohor DCE
2 hours -
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
2 hours -
GSA arrests Chinese managers for reopening locked mattress factory
2 hours -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
2 hours -
Kofi Jumah released after meeting GH¢30m bail terms
2 hours -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
2 hours