Audio By Carbonatix
More than 130 retired diplomats and other former senior U.S. officials issued an open letter on Thursday criticising a planned overhaul of the State Department that could see thousands of employees laid off.
"We strongly condemn Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s announced decision to implement sweeping staff reductions and reorganisation at the U.S. Department of State," the officials said in the letter.
The signatories included dozens of former ambassadors and senior officials, including Susan Rice, who served as national security advisor under President Barack Obama, a Democrat.
The timing of the cuts remains unclear, with the U.S. Supreme Court expected to weigh in at any moment on a bid by U.S. President Donald Trump's administration to halt a judicial order blocking the firings.
The administration in late May notified Congress of a plan to overhaul its diplomatic corps that could cut thousands of jobs, including hundreds of members of its elite Foreign Service who advocate for U.S. interests in the face of growing assertiveness from adversaries such as China and Russia.
Initial plans to send the notices last month were halted after a federal judge on June 13 temporarily blocked the State Department from implementing the reorganisation plan.
The shake-up forms part of a push by Trump to shrink the federal bureaucracy, cut what he says is wasteful spending, and align what remains with his "America First" priorities.
"At a time when the United States faces unprecedented challenges from strategic competitors, ongoing conflicts, and emerging security threats, Secretary Rubio’s decision to gut the State Department’s institutional knowledge and operational capacity is reckless," the former officials wrote.
Latest Stories
-
We owe the youth a different example, says Fifi Kwetey on setting tough standard for NDC
32 minutes -
My political ambition can die, but Ghana must rise – Fifi Kwetey
55 minutes -
Reset means business as usual must end starting from the NDC – Fifi Kwetey
1 hour -
NDC must end the hypocrisy if we want to reset Ghana – Fifi Kwetey
2 hours -
Peru’s president impeached four months into term
2 hours -
Philippine VP Sara Duterte announces presidential run in 2028
2 hours -
We’re sitting on a time bomb with Otto Addo ahead of World Cup – Coach Nimley
3 hours -
Ghana first, NDC second, me last – Fifi Kwetey’s hardline loyalty doctrine
3 hours -
Guirassy stars as Dortmund dispatch Atalanta
5 hours -
Arsenal make Saka best-paid player with new deal
5 hours -
Arteta ‘respectful’ of fans but has felt ‘exposed’
6 hours -
Vinicius’ brilliant winner beats Benfica in match halted for alleged racism
6 hours -
Alcaraz wins ‘difficult’ first match since Melbourne win
6 hours -
Galatasaray hit 5 past Juventus in frenetic first leg
6 hours -
Substitute Desire Doue inspires PSG comeback at Monaco
6 hours
